Blackface ADATs?

eh91311

recordist
How many out there are still using blackface ADATs? The going prices for them in Los Angeles are down to $200-250 each, under $200 with lots of head-on hours (1500+).

I just switched from a 3 unit blackface setup to a HD24 yesterday. I will never go back...
If I'm not mistaken, the blackface series was manufactured in 93-94 (maybe also 95?), so the units out on the market are starting to get really old. I wouldn't rely on them if I were you. Sure, the one I have with the most hours is up in more than 3000 now, but there has been some problems with it during the last couple of years, that's for sure.

I've still got 3 of them... plus two RMB's and a BRC.

Half way through my last big recording project I bought an HD-24, so I transferred things over to it... but I decided to keep my ADATs for backup/additional tracks.

Funny thing is... is 3 years of running my ADATs, I've only had one tape eaten... and it was salvagable... in 1 year of running my HD-24, I've lost a drive which killed a complete song :) (NO I hadn't backed it up becuase it was just a "song writing" drive.)

Velvet Elvis

Anyone know if you cn still get parts for the ADATS, blackace or otherwise?

I've got 2 at work that are on the fritz.

Take care,
Chris

i don't know about ADAT parts but something has me confused about Alesis. They made 2 HD slots, which person in their right mind didn't make it so that you could run a 2 HD RAID array? this is supposed to be professional and all, but sinlge point of storage is not exactly redundant, which is what most professionals require.

adat parts and repairs/HD24

You can find parts here: http://www.advancedmusical.com/
Apparently they bought out a lot of Alesis' spare parts.

You can get flat-fee repairs here:
http://www.audiodesign-service.com/index.html

The original ADAT units are aging, but still usable. 2 original blackface ADATs are still the most inexpensive way to get 16 tracks of pro recording hardware that has media that is compatible with thousands of studios worldwide.

As far as what people think about the HD24, computer hard drives have their pluses and minuses. So do S-VHS tape transports. Computer hard drives do fail, that's why the 2nd HD in the HD24 is primarily for direct backup of songs or complete drives. The I/O on the HD24's hard drives is fast enough, there's no need for RAID and the complications of that.

Any more opinions....?

Although I already have an HD24 I am thinking about picking up an ADAT and a small mixer to use for location/live work which I seem to be getting asked to do a lot these days...never paid of course but I enjoy it and I get in free! I have been using a Tascam 424 which was great to learn on but is seriously limiting me now! With ADAts available so cheaply now and still offering good quality it seems a very practical option, combined with maybe a small mackie of Behringer mixer.

I love my Mackie 24/8 and HD24 combo but portable it isn't!

you have to service blackfaces every 500hrs. i stopped using mine and changed to an echo gina 24 card into my pc. 24bit but not as nice as the 16 bit adat. i mentioned this to a manager in a really high end music retailers and he said the converters on the blackface are very good and that alesis really design great converters. needless to say speaking to a retailer on another occasion he said the same. i've started to use it as my front end using the adat optical in on the gina card. should have done it sooner. i recommend anyone to hold on to those blackfaces and use them as converters. cheaper than buying apogee's.

eh91311 said:
The I/O on the HD24's hard drives is fast enough, there's no need for RAID and the complications of that.
Any more opinions....?
When I think of live/remote sessions I assume a certain amount of redundancy is expected. I never considered what a RAID setup for the second drive might add. Record to both, swap one out at the end for backup? edit; Or not. You'd already have a backup... :rolleyes:
Wayne

Last edited:
Regarding the RAID comment by kristian, I think he meant that it would have been more professional to be able to record to 2 HD on the HD24 at one time, the 2nd drive being a mirror image copy of the first, a simultaneous backup, instead of how it is now; record to one drive, backup to the other.

Adats

I just bought a XT-20 thats supposed to have less than 20 hours on it.....but the head hour clock reads "9999" and won't move off that number.....the clock locks and skips and I'm getting "error 07" messages.....(clean heads) So, my point is...if you buy an ADAT make sure you SEE or get a PICTURE of the head hours clock before you pay the $. Especially on EEEEEEBAY!!!
So now it's off to the tech tomorrow for $85.00 just to get it looked at! :mad: :eek: :confused: :(
Theres alot of them on there but notice how many don't or won't tell the hours in thier description.
Also the transport on the XT is far superior and MUCH faster than the blackface.....they are SLOW..... :p

Surley if you bought it off ebay and it was ADVERTISED as a low head hours then the seller is liable to a false ebay add for which you can claim your money back.

Back