Alesis ADAT LX20?

reco

ok im on a budget like everyone else, my "Q" is: if i buy a alesis LX20 can i still add more lx20's down the road? i mean can they be put together for more tracks like any other adat? can i use like 3 of em or no?
thanks

Alright, a question I can answer. And the answer is yes. You can have up to 16 of these machines linked and sinced. And nothing limits you to only adding LX20s. Maybe when the bucks come in you can add some XT20s.

Jim is absolutely correct about this. Also, because Alesis uses a proprietary time code format, you can sync ANY Alesis devices together that has the optical I/O. That means that you can link an old Blackface ADAT with a LX20 with a Q2 with a XT20 with one of their keyboards with.....etc.....

Kind of cool.

Ed

[This message has been edited by sonusman (edited 09-18-1999).]

Wait. What do you mean "one of there key boards with..." what can they hook up to that way?

The Alesis QS-7.1 and QS8.1 both have the lightpipe optical outputs on them for direct digital recording to any unit that has the proprietary Alesis optical connection. :)

Go to www.alesis.com/products/keyboards.html for all the details. This is a very cool feature. Direct digital recording without having to run through any converters going to tape. If you are using a soundcard with ADAT opticals on it, you can use it too.

Ed

I recently recorded in a studio with a couple of LX20's and sometimes, when the engineer hit play, it took a few sec's for the adats to sync up.. I wonder what the possible wait is for 3 or 4 or maybe 16 adats...

Not much longer really. Once, I had 6 ADAT's linked (old Black Face ones which do not sync as fast as the XT's do). Took no more than like 5 secs for all of them to sync. It used to be an industry standard that all devices could lock under 20 secs! That was the case of a sequencer having to sync to SMPTE on tape. They usually recommended about 30 secs for a sure lock. Unreal huh?

It is hard for people who are just starting out to appriciate how far recording technology has come in just 5 years. It wasn't that long ago that 4 track cassettes were the latest, greatest thing! LOL

Anyway, ADAT's, no matter how many are in the chain, will usually lock within 5 secs.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

[This message has been edited by sonusman (edited 09-28-1999).]

Back