AKAI 77 4-Track HELP

WayneSMT

I am trying to lay down tracks onto tape using an AKAI 77 4-Track Stereo machine. Trying to hook all of this up with my mixer and amp and pa system. Just can't seem to figure out how to properly wire the tape machine so it coordinates with the mixer and amp or maybe I am trying to do the impossible. I'm not even sure if the AKAI 77 is capable of doing this.

The AKAI has the standard line in and out jacks. I have a Peavey 800 Stereo Mixer and I am using an older vintage Onkyo to drive the PA speakers. Bozaks with Eminence 12's in them. The recordings that I make with the AKAI have great sound and I would like only to have to use one tape machine to dub in guitar work. I do have some other tape machines that I could use to dub with, a large SONY and another AKAI 77. But I would rather like to avoid running two machines if I don't have to. I hope this is clear. I'm a little confused myself.

Thanks.

Wayne

AKAI 77 Update

It works. I used the Akai, a Sony Cassette, the Peavey, a 3 deck tape selector and a small 2 channel DJ mixer.

I'm able to lay down a bass line running from the AMPEG BA115 to the Peavey. I use the STEREO TAPE OUT from the Peavey to Record to the AKAI I also "Y'd" off of the STEREO TAPE OUT and run a second line out to the littler DJ mixer under the second channel. Now the AKAI records from the board. - ok that is working.

Now I run the LINE OUT from the AKAI into the first channel of the DJ mixer. Run the Rec Out from the DJ mixer to the SONY Cassette. Run the Line OUT from the SONY CASS to the PEAVEY in channels 8 and 9. Chan 8 is Left and Chan 9 is Right.

Ok with me so far? I record a Bass line and maybe a beat onto the AKAI. Playback the AKAI into Channel 1 of the DJ mixer. I then mix in lead, or rythem or whatever into Channel 2 of the DJ mixer from the PEAVEY and record the mix into the SONY. I can they playback the SONY back into the PEAVEY and start the whole process over again and keep adding stuff.

This was probably much more complicated than it needed it to be, but I kinda took some information from the TASCAM site and elaborated on it.

The quality of the the recordings is excellent. I also have it set up to monitor with headphones at any point in the setup. From the Peavey, the AKAI, SONY or the Onkyo or DJ mixer.

The TASCAM site helped, it helped me realize that I had to isolate my Source from the Peavey instead of taking it off of the Onkyo that way I am working with balanced line levels and not overdriving any of my inputs.

Thanks FM.

Wayne

Back