latency issues

palmersutra25

im using ableton live 8 on my imac, with a tascam 122-l interface. only problem is, when i try to record my guitar through the interface, there is a 43ms latency. ive tried adjusting the buffer size, but this makes the sound terrible. The latency is so great that i cant sync my guitar track up to the midi drum track.

any suggestions?

cheers

Ram and hard disc memory wont really effect latency as much as CPU.....

Ive ran Ableton on an old 3.00GHz pentium 4 with negligible latency...are you only adjusting the buffers on the Tascam or are you compensating within Abletons preferences?

if the tascam has a interface yes...Id adjust the tascam then adjust the ms in ableton and see if that helps..

to be honest theres either something drastically wrong with your tascam or how your setting it up so you need to try some elimination to pinpoint where the problem lies...as ableton can run on a pretty basic spec'd PC with usable latency..hell i run it on a netbook

im only in it for the fame....

(he might not have been back cos it doesnt work and Im a clueless f*ck ;) )

wow, i got 3 replies for not saying thank you! jeez! clearly this is a forum where you dont wanna forget your manners.

sorry guys, ive been away on holiday for a week, and havent checked the forum.

thank youuuuuuuuu though, much appreciated.

hey guys, i've literally tried everything this morning, and scoured the deepest depths of the internet looking for answers. i tried messing around with all of the settings, then changed the sample rate from 44100 to 96000. it seemed to work. i got the latency down to 12ms, which works for me.

out of curiosity, what exactly will changing the sample rate do? i'm guessing that although the latency is down, something else will be affected?

thank you :)

id have thought it would have made latency worse...doesnt make sense??

96 is better quality than 44 but its such a small difference that its almost in audible unless you have very good ears/monitoring...for most real world cases 44 is more than adequate...the bit rate is more important and although cds are 16 you dont want to drop under 24 for recording

glad its worked for you though

Back