Driver Error Compensation within Ableton - average latency in ms?

Telamon

I'm trying to set the Driver Error Compensation in the Focusrite edition of Ableton 8.2.1, and it has been a somewhat tedious process. The tutorial on copying the waveform has been tricky, because the waveform has been cut off at the top and bottom, like it has clipped, but there's no indication of redlining in the software. Ultimately, I've had to compare an incomplete waveform to the original and I'm recording with trial and error to eliminate the latency for recording an electric guitar.

It would help me get there faster if I can get some people to post their Driver Error Compensation settings in ms in the Options->Preferences.

Telamon, USA

Gear:

HP Pavilion p6720 AMD Quad-core
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface
Sennheiser e614 small diaphragm condenser
Peavey Classic 30 tube amp
95 American Fender Telecaster

I think I've resolved the issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since the signal was imperfect when I copied the waveform, I decided to follow the same method by recording an instrument instead of using the provided drum sample. I created a new Live Set, created an audio track by plugging the electric guitar directly into input 1 with a 1/4" x 1/4". Then I created a second audio track, using a direct output signal from the first track (1/4" line out to 1/4" line in input 1). I then tried to match the waveforms, eventually discovering that the second waveform was the first upside down (is this reverse phase?). I noted the setting that I eyed, and it was 53 ms. When I went to add that to the Driver Error Compensation setting, I noticed it correlated with the Overall Latency setting displayed right below it, which was 53.4 ms. I then set the Driver Error Compensation to 53.4 ms, and it seems to sound pretty close. I could still be wrong. Maybe it correlates more closely with the Input Latency plus the Output Latency (21.3 ms + 31.3 ms = 52.6 ms). Can anyone comment on this?

Back