bass question

palmersutra25

hey guys, i know this is frowned upon, but nobody replied to my thread in the hip hop forum. i should never have strayed.

does anyone have any pointers on how to get good bass sounds? i want something that sounds really big and fat, but im having trouble getting anything to sound the way i want it to. im particularly interested in some of the bass sounds that flying lotus creates.

any help would be great.

cheers guys.

I take it you mean electronic bass?

The trick with this is not to use one source sound but to layer three with similar characteristics.

Use a sub, a main bass, then a distorted bass on top...bus them together and use the same effects (compression) on all three..

Make sure the sub isnt over powering, an easy mistake, the meat will come from the main bass....band them with EQ so that their frequencies only slightly overlap

I dont know flying lotus all I know that inmost forms of electronic music its layering that gets the best results..give it a shot, if you need me to be more specific with compression or EQ banding frequencies just yell

thanks again kc. much appreciated, i'll give it a try over the weekend.

by the way, how exactly do i bus tracks together? sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

cheers

thanks again kc. much appreciated, i'll give it a try over the weekend.

by the way, how exactly do i bus tracks together? sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

cheers

if you are on a PC just press control and highlight the tracks you want to buss, then right click and group tracks...i think you can only group tracks on Live 8 though

hey kc, could you recommend any frequencies please?

ive been trying out this method, and the bass sounds much fatter, im just uncertain as to how best to eq them.

thanks again.

OK on the sub base compress it quite hard and give it a low shelf EQ boost and use a low pass filter to cut the top end out..this should really be just the sub so be quite harsh with the cut..

On the main bass use a high pass and cut every thing form around 150Hz...fiddle about until the two blend

The top bass or distorted bass should be cut to around 150 or more as well but give it a boost at around 10-13HZ and 3-5Hz...enough to get it to poke through

I little bit of ping pong delay on he bass bus will help to give it some movement...just a little mind... with maybe around 20-30% feedback

the middle/main bass should have the dominance over the three..its the meat

try that and see if it helps....of course it depends on your original samples but thats a general idea

Back