MY ELX's RECORDED WITH THE 424 CASSETTE PORTASTUDIO.....

TASCAM MAN

Ok this is the first time I ever posted what I think is some of my best drum solo'ing that I ever captured on tape.This is early 2000s when I still had a pretty good size studio before I went thru a divorce. I had a lot of recording equipment even then, but decided to prove that I could get a great recording of this big kit I had put together..... with only 4 mics and my Tascam 424.:eek:This is one of 5 short solos, think I mixed it straight to a CD recorder with very little processing. Please let me know what ya'll think and then I will see if I will post the other 4 short solos.....thanks and happy listening !!! ;)

PS
turn your best speakers UP LOUD !!! :D

Attachments

• 03 Track 3.mp3
    6.4 MB · Views: 16
Jazzzz on, man!
Nice performance of course, but most of all - great tuning which brings the music in.
Great to listen to!

A hip and creative break my friend. I commend you for keeping that creative and original energy for 2:49 seconds........there are quite a few drummers/percussionist that can't come close to doing that. What is not so unusual is being able to replicate that using a good old analog 424 Portastudio (was it a MK II?) I have Pro Tools, Tascam 2488 and trusty 788 and a 424 MKII that I still use regularly. (Must have type 2/CrO2 tape for best quality)

What was a bit odd to my ears was that strange melodic ringing effect on that kick drum. Was that artifact caused by heads to tight or miking on the edge of clipping? Just for my taste, I don't like my kick drum pitched so "melodically" Just me I guess......:)

Great playing

A hip and creative break my friend. I commend you for keeping that creative and original energy for 2:49 seconds........there are quite a few drummers/percussionist that can't come close to doing that. What is not so unusual is being able to replicate that using a good old analog 424 Portastudio (was it a MK II?) I have Pro Tools, Tascam 2488 and trusty 788 and a 424 MKII that I still use regularly. (Must have type 2/CrO2 tape for best quality)

What was a bit odd to my ears was that strange melodic ringing effect on that kick drum. Was that artifact caused by heads to tight or miking on the edge of clipping? Just for my taste, I don't like my kick drum pitched so "melodically" Just me I guess......:)

Great playing

Well thank YOU !!! Im glad someone realized that it was "creative and original energy" as you so gracefully said it :) I haven't captured many moments like this on a recording (usually when Im just practicing without the tape rolling) but I had my daughter that day watching the levels and running the 424 (MKI) for me ;) and the "strange melodic ringing effect" was an accident but I had to leave it and not compromise the performance. I had just put the kit together and was trying all types of heads and no port on the kick. I thought (at the time) it sounded kinda cool like....maybe a bass guitar triggered along with It, so I kept it. Thank you so much for the "A hip and creative break my friend" COMPLIMENT and realizing good taste when you hear it and I say that as humble as I can LoL :D

Last edited:
Back