ZOOM R20--am I able to shift tracks forward or back by, say, 20 milliseconds?

Bargarcs

I used this technique with my last (sadly no longer supported) DAW when pasting a guitar track onto a different empty track, and producing a stereo image--since merely copying and pasting the original track will produce a mono effect, even when one track is panned L and the other R.

So does anyone know if the R20 allows this small level of shifting, or do I need to use a DAW? Thank you.

Last edited:
Don't know, just wondered if it comes with FX- delay maybe? They can range down that short?
Another thought would be 'export it out to a delay pedal and back. (shoot just an in/out trip might get close.

Don't know, just wondered if it comes with FX- delay maybe? They can range down that short?
Another thought would be 'export it out to a delay pedal and back. (shoot just an in/out trip might get close.
It does come with FX. I haven't researched the manual enough yet. But upon searching the PDF I see nothing regarding shifting or offsetting tracks. Admittedly I do need to go through the manual properly, since I'm coming back to recording for the first time in like 12 years.

Can you explain how a delay pedal would solve this issue? I believe the R20 has delay on it, but the Line 6 PODxt I have definitely does.

..Can you explain how a delay pedal would solve this issue? I believe the R20 has delay on it, but the Line 6 PODxt I have definitely does.
Presuming here?) Might the unit have outputs that could play ('route) a track to an output -monitor out, 'aux send?
Or song mix outs? That would go to the pedal, pedal feeds an input for a new track.
Likely there's some level issues to be worked through here. 'Line level outs -ran low enough to get by a pedal's limitations perhaps. Looking more like 'instrument level going back to the record input?

You know though -this has to be said... This is -now- -more work- than just recording a new track- that would also sound better than 'static delay doubles do..?

Last edited:
You REALLY just want to Double Track the part... just doing this slight delay isn't going to acheive the *REAL* effect that you want.

You REALLY just want to Double Track the part... just doing this slight delay isn't going to acheive the *REAL* effect that you want.
That's correct. I really want to double track it without having to re-record it. Some people would call this a cop-out, but my songs have a huge number of tracks. Do you know of a way to do this with the Zoom R20, or how it might be termed in the manual so I can search it?

I used this technique with my last (sadly no longer supported) DAW when pasting a guitar track onto a different empty track, and producing a stereo image--since merely copying and pasting the original track will produce a mono effect, even when one track is panned L and the other R.

So does anyone know if the R20 allows this small level of shifting, or do I need to use a DAW? Thank you.
Aside from using a delay effect when you dump a track - I don’t see a way to do it - I would just drop the track(s) to a DAW where shifting is very easy - using as DAW opens up tons of possibilities the R20 doesn’t have.

That's correct. I really want to double track it without having to re-record it. Some people would call this a cop-out, but my songs have a huge number of tracks. Do you know of a way to do this with the Zoom R20, or how it might be termed in the manual so I can search it?

I do not. I care about the music I record, and wouldn't ever do this. Poster above has the right idea though... do it in a DAW. Reaper is FREE.

I do not. I care about the music I record, and wouldn't ever do this. Poster above has the right idea though... do it in a DAW. Reaper is FREE.
I missed this because I've been quite busy, but that's judgmental as all heck. Go listen to the black metal band Thorns' self titled album if you want to see what layering sounds without having to re-record some of the tracks sounds like. The artist was going for an almost clinical sound, very tight, and he got it.

I don't need your gatekeeping.

Funny. Being a Black Metal fan and claiming that I'm "gatekeeping". I'm recording a Black Metal song right now, and I'm double tracking, because that's how you get the sound. If you care about your music... do it right. That's all I'm saying. There is no point to "shortcut" things that aren't going to sound "right" just because you don't want to "re-record" things. Double tracking is double tracking.

Funny. Being a Black Metal fan and claiming that I'm "gatekeeping". I'm recording a Black Metal song right now, and I'm double tracking, because that's how you get the sound. If you care about your music... do it right. That's all I'm saying. There is no point to "shortcut" things that aren't going to sound "right" just because you don't want to "re-record" things. Double tracking is double tracking.
This is hilarious. You're so toxic you don't even know it or care. Goodbye.

In my old R24 I could go into files and trim the beginning a few mill/sec. For doubling guitars I wouldn't recommend any more than 12 ;)

Can you explain how a delay pedal would solve this issue? I believe the R20 has delay on it, but the Line 6 PODxt I have definitely does.
If you record a stereo track with your POD, pull up the stereo delay... mix @100%... feedback @0%... then slightly delay L or R channel for the same effect.

Or...

Run your POD (with stereo delay as above) into 2 mono trax panned hard L/R. Then, effect and Eq each track slightly different for an even wider result :)

Back