Zoom R16 Impedance

k bucks

This impedance talk confuses me, but I'm trying to get through it.
I just acquired a Zoom R16 for fun/mobile recording, etc. I'm looking to record my weekly gig which runs out of an Allen and Heath Mixwiz 16. I also have this very same board at home. At my place, I take direct outs from the Allen and Heath into my Lynx Aurora at +4 (according to the Lynx). When I tried to record at the venue, the direct out signals from the board were too hot for the Zoom, the clip light was constantly flashing. I know I can go through and take all the gains down on the board, to make sure the signal is just right for the Zoom. However, a lot of that gain is necessary to power the board, get strong levels, etc. Is there a device or way to handle some sort of conversion? I'm thinking Fostex 5030, but if anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks

-k

That's why the Mixwiz has PFL. You PFL each channel to make sure that you have the proper level and are not clipping. If after you have adjusted the channels correctly for the Zoom and your PA doesn't have enough volume then it's time to buy bigger power amps.

Or, if the gain staging is correct on the A&H, then try using inline pads between the A&H and the Zoom. Might need to experiment to find the right ones. If the clip light is flicking but not staying on solid then maybe -10dB attenuation might suffice.

You'll need one per line.

Example: Naiant sells pads (MPD Inline Attenuator) for $13 each. But you can get them from any pro audio stockist.

Perhaps the Zoom has built-in pads?

Paul

I record live at least once a week with a MixWiz3-R16 setup. Reread the advice from ocnor and PRHunt.

I tap the signals from the (factory: pre-eq-fader-efx) insert sends rather than the (factory: post-eq-fader-efx) channel sends, because the MixWiz is doing FOH duties. If you use the channel sends while recording, adjustments to the main mix will affect output levels to the recorder. This does not happen via the insert sends unless you adhere to the practice of using your input pads/trim to gain ride. The only MixWiz thing that affects the insert out signal is the trim/pad knob. The signal is dry/raw/pure. If you PFL (Why wouldn't you!), you end up with good sonic foundation from the input side for both FOH and recording. PFL---worth every bit of the few minutes it takes.

That being said, if you deal with wireless vocal mics, keyboards, and kick mics, you will probable still need inline pads for the R-16 inputs. I do have Naiant pads and can attest to their quality---and they are a bargain. The only drawback is that you have to know what value (in -dB) you need when you order. I use a -12dB type that will plug directly into the R-16 XLR inputs; it has a "termination" designation of "TRS-XLRM."

THAT being said, I still have to use a second (-20dB) in-line pad to further reduce the kick mic.

So, here's a tip when selecting pad values: Borrow or go to GuitarCenter or wherever and buy an inexpensive HOSA in-line pad. If you're paying more than $12-$15 you're being ripped for Manufacturer's Suggested Retail. It is switchable for -10-20-40dB, so you can find out what value you need in a more sturdy pad (the HOSA is useable, it just feels like it's going to fall apart when put it in-line).

I don't know if you can fry the inputs of the R-16 with a signal that is too hot but I do know that it is impossible to to reduce some common sources to the point where the peak light stays off, even with the input adjustment fully counter-clockwise ("off"). I have seen it happen with other recorders. Inline pads can not only save your recordings, they can save your recorder.

Paj
8^)

Last edited:
Back