Zoom H4n Manufacture Date ?

Robes-

Hello All-

I'm looking to buy a Zoom H4n used. I'm following items on e-bay. Does anyone know if there is a way to determine the manufacture date of these devices? Possibly by the serial number or type of packaging? I have sent this question through the "contact us" link at the Zoom home page but have yet to hear from them.

Best I can see, is if there is packaging, the newest has black top and white lower half. I ask the sellers but they are great at saying; it was a gift-don't know, bought it open box-don't know, selling for someone-don't know etc. They all look the same to me….

Thanks for any comments :D
Robes

Here is a reply from Zoom:

Andrew Larrabee <alarrabee@zoom-na.com> Mar 21 at 12:40 PM
To
synapsez51@yahoo.com
Message body
Hello,
Thanks for contacting us with your question. Unfortunately we cannot determine the year of manufacture based off serial number.
------------------------------------

Apparently their serial numbers are meaningless-
Robes

An alternative to ebay if you have a bit of patience to wait for one to show up....
Used zoom | B&H Photo Video - Grid View

I got one here and it was like brand new. A used 2015 H4n-4 with a used Zoom AC adapter was $160. There are 2009 and 2015 versions. The 2009 has gray sides and the 2015 has black. I think it's a difference in the firmware between the two.
I also got a used Auray remote which works well.

Last edited:
I have been watching B & H. Thanks for that info on the 2009/2015 versions, I thought I had noticed a difference but only thought it had to do with lighting when taking the pics, not anything to do with year version-

Back