Your suggestion on new Audio Interface ?

Firefab

Hi, I currently got an eleven rack. This is a pretty good piece for guitar and it's not that expensive (800$). The only bad thing is I CAN'T record more than 1 mic at the same time(with phantom power). So I'm thinking about buying a new audio-interface/pre-amp.I don't need guitar input for the new one and I prefer XLR input.

Tell me your suggestion in a range of 800 - 2000$?????

And with this new audio interface, is there a big difference with the sound I record ? Or the final mix ?

Like, If I record with my audio-technica AT4040 in my eleven rack and after in the new one, there will be a big difference in final ?

Thanks !

Before anyone can give advice, perhaps you could give a list of what you DO need in terms of simultaneous inputs and outputs. There's a big difference between wanting 2 mics or 8 and it matters whether you need things like MIDI, optical inputs etc. Also consider what you require in terms of sample rate and bit depth. Some swear by the ability to go up to 96kHz sampling; (other, me included, think this is a needless overhead).

On your second question, I would say that, as long as you're above the absolute bargain basement price range, the differences in audio quality are subtle compared to things like room acoustics and choice of mic.

Before anyone can give advice, perhaps you could give a list of what you DO need in terms of simultaneous inputs and outputs. There's a big difference between wanting 2 mics or 8 and it matters whether you need things like MIDI, optical inputs etc. Also consider what you require in terms of sample rate and bit depth. Some swear by the ability to go up to 96kHz sampling; (other, me included, think this is a needless overhead).

On your second question, I would say that, as long as you're above the absolute bargain basement price range, the differences in audio quality are subtle compared to things like room acoustics and choice of mic.

I don't need or know what is MIDI on interface(My midi keyboard is plugged to my computer). I don't know why should I use optical inputs ? And I don't know what sample rate and bit depth should I use.

In a way that answers some of the questions.

Many MIDI devices use a five pin DIN connector and go into your computer via your audio interface. If your keyboard goes directly into your computer (via USB?) then you don't need that capability on your interface.

If you don't know why you'd use an optical input then you probably don't need it but, FYI, it's a way you can add additional inputs without tying up the mic or line inputs on your interface.

The sample rate/bit depth thing is a bit different. A fairly standard sample rate for music is 44.1kHz and for video work the norm is 48kHz. However, there's endless debate about whether using higher sample rates (up to 96kHz or even 192kHz) results in an increase in quality. I'm in the camp that finds no difference other than vastly larger files (44.1 still handles frequencies above normal human hearing) but don't be surprised if others jump in with a different view. Anyway, almost ever interface will handle 44.1/48kHz and 24 bit (a standard file) but you'll pay extra and get less choice to go to the higher numbers.

Anyway, that leaves the big question: how many inputs (mic and line level) do you think you'll ever need?

In a way that answers some of the questions.

Many MIDI devices use a five pin DIN connector and go into your computer via your audio interface. If your keyboard goes directly into your computer (via USB?) then you don't need that capability on your interface.

If you don't know why you'd use an optical input then you probably don't need it but, FYI, it's a way you can add additional inputs without tying up the mic or line inputs on your interface.

The sample rate/bit depth thing is a bit different. A fairly standard sample rate for music is 44.1kHz and for video work the norm is 48kHz. However, there's endless debate about whether using higher sample rates (up to 96kHz or even 192kHz) results in an increase in quality. I'm in the camp that finds no difference other than vastly larger files (44.1 still handles frequencies above normal human hearing) but don't be surprised if others jump in with a different view. Anyway, almost ever interface will handle 44.1/48kHz and 24 bit (a standard file) but you'll pay extra and get less choice to go to the higher numbers.

Anyway, that leaves the big question: how many inputs (mic and line level) do you think you'll ever need?

It's a home studio and I don't plan to record a live drum. So that's why I said 8 max.

Your suggestion on new Audio Interface ?
Hi, I currently got an eleven rack. This is a pretty good piece for guitar and it's not that expensive (800$). The only bad thing is I CAN'T record more than 1 mic at the same time(with phantom power). So I'm thinking about buying a new audio-interface/pre-amp.I don't need guitar input for the new one and I prefer XLR input.

Tell me your suggestion in a range of 800 - 2000$?????

And with this new audio interface, is there a big difference with the sound I record ? Or the final mix ?

Like, If I record with my audio-technica AT4040 in my eleven rack and after in the new one, there will be a big difference in final ?

Thanks !

I must be blind...I can't see where you said 8 max which is why I kept asking!

Anyhow, a very popular 8 XLR interface is the TASCAM US 16X08.

However, if you're not recording live drums, 8 mics is a pretty extensive interface!

(But, as it's well within the low end of your budget you can buy some extra mics for those extra XLRs! :) )

I have an Tascam US-1800. I have it because I wanted all of the channels to record a complete band live. Up to 7 mics on drums, bass, guitars, vocals all at once.

If you are going to record just yourself, then a nice 2 channel interface would work well for you. Other than the convenience of connections, more than 2 (maybe four for micing various positions) just isn't required for solo artists. I could see wanting to get a good interface (I see the Tascam on the lower end) for good pre-amps, better AD/DA internal engine (processing power) and going into a higher price range will be a benefit.

That being said, and to the point already made; mics, room treatment and mixing knowledge will serve you better than thinking a new interface will make it sound better. There are some nice systems for your price range but without those other items, you will never hear that difference.

Just an opinion, if you do get a new interface, I suggest making sure it has at least one ADAT connection. That will allow yo to expand pretty easy if you ever need to in the future.

Back