You wreck Me, Tom Petty Cover

Ex3vious

Hey guys,
I recorded my band at a studio using pro tools and some high end gear. This was my first time recording on pro tools and micing up a drum kit. I usually use cubase with Ez drummer to put songs together. Anyways, it was quite different than what I'm used to, but i tried using the same mixing techniques that I usually do, I'd like to know what you guys think. Thanks.
https://soundcloud.com/ben-2014/you-wreck-me-tom-petty-cover

Not bad at all. I guess number one on my list would be to de-thud the kick. There's going to be a spot, maybe 200Hz-ish, you can cut that will clean it up nicely. There's a bit of mud in other instruments to clean up that will become more apparent once the kick gets some eq.

Dang if you don't have Petty's character in your voice. Very cool. I agree with BSG, a lot of mud. In fact, I wonder what your mixing environment is like. Did you mix this in the studio or take it home to mix? You may not be hearing the kick properly.

I don't usually listen to covers, but I enjoyed this one.
Cheers,

Yeah I dug this one over all. Vocal had a great energy to it, although there were a good amount of little pitchy spots here and there. Guitars sounded cool, bass was kind of indistinct. I don't know if you were going for that or not. I think there's a build-up of the lows like the others have said.

I was mixing in an unfamiliar studio, so thats probably why I had a hard time determining how much low end to have. I'll take that into account when trying to mix our other songs. thanks for the positive feedback, I'm glad you guys like it.

The opening guitar is too low relative to the hat. It sounds totally out of balance. The cymbals are a bit loud overall. It's almost louder than the vocal...I like where the vocal sits so I'd lower those cymbals.

The vocal delivery is really cool! Digging the vibe.

Back