You Poured In

Stratomaster

This song is the second I've recorded in the new house. I got an excellent drum track from the roommate. The recording is still not great, the snare is kind of weak and is being dominated by the high hats, still experimenting with mic choices and placements. Reluctantly singing again, I would like it if someone said turn the vocals down. Instead of having to hear just the 1 voice I decided to triple the vocal and harmony tracks in a sort of misery loves company approach. Any thoughts appreciated!

Vocals sound good to me, especially the harmonies. I have the same problem with vocals and double/triple track them all the time. But I've found that if you just force your way through the verses with a single vocal track, the contrast with the rest can be quite effective. Good tune

Catchy tune! The vocals remind me of Dave Clark 5 from the olden days. All the instruments can be heard clearly and I like the distinctness of the bass. There seems to be some competition between vocals and the rest of the band a little. They seem to walk on each other at points IMO. Great job though

Yeah. Sounds pretty balanced.

I agree that the vocals might be better served by not being so layered all the time. Get a little more dynamic.
I also wouldn't mind the solo moving a little closer to center. I think important parts should be audible in both cans.

I love the vocals. Very nice sounding. Love the harmonies. Reminded me of Squeeze, tho I'm not 100% sure why.

Bass sounded very nice.

Guitars were OK. To me they need a little more power.

Cymbals sounded excellent. Kick sounded excellent too. Agree on the snare. Needs a little more snap/attack.

I enjoyed it. Vocals sound fine to me. I agree the verses could be stripped down a bit as far as tracks on the vox.

The rhythm guitars could use a little more grit I feel. Not much, just a touch.

I felt like the OHs had a little room left. Maybe that would liven the snare up a bit?

Thank you guys for your time and positive comments. I have taken your advices and made some adjustments

Killed a few of the doubled vocals
Turned up the overheads
panned the guitar solo closer to center
adjusted the balance of the guitars

Cranked it up a bit with the vintage warmer and voila

The vocals are for sure more back in the mix now which is how I like them and you can hear the mistakes more but ce la vie.

New version below. Thanks!

I just took a break from my final mix and popped on here. Looks like you just posted this. I love it! ALL the tweaks you mentioned have added to the vibe. So........when are you pitching this to Tom Petty? It absolutely sounds like it needs to be on his SiriusXM station.

I just took a break from my final mix and popped on here. Looks like you just posted this. I love it! ALL the tweaks you mentioned have added to the vibe. So........when are you pitching this to Tom Petty? It absolutely sounds like it needs to be on his SiriusXM station.

Lol-thanks for the comment and I notice your from eastern L.I., I lived in Patchogue most of my life-where you from?

I'm out on the north fork in Southold. Launching a digi-label for some of the talent out here. My first final mix will be here tomorrow for sure. And then I have a bunch for other artists. I'm gonna be a fixture around here.........

And.....I'll be at the Patch. Theater this weekend..........

I'm not hearing much in the bass range. The bass itself is almost nonexistent and the kick has too much low-mid and not enough bottom. The only lows I hear are from the toms. Although this style can be somewhat thin and snappy, in this case there's room for more beef.

I like the vocal/guitar feeling but I'd push a little 3-5k on the vocals for clarity.

That hi hat is piercing at about 6-8k

On the remix (post #9)
Okay, turn down the vocals...that's what you wanted, but I'm not sure why. They sound really well balanced.
Clear recordings. Everything is sharp.
The end guitar solo on the right is a bit fuzzy, but that might be what you were after.
Bass sounds very Rickenbacker-ish. Nice.
Drums are well balanced.
Nice Job!

I think this sounds really great. Love the vocals, and the bass is coming through loud and clear on my system with a great tone. The only real weak point IMO is the drums, which sound a little anemic. I think they could be brought up a bit more and maybe EQed with a bit more aggressive mid range maybe -- possibly compressed in a different way as well.

Catchy song with lots of nice moments. Thanks for sharing!

I like this a lot.

Sounds like Moody Blues in the vocals and the old school guitars.

Are you expecting people to eq to taste?

I always wonder where people draw the line.

I'd crank the low end quite a bit on this, assuming the listener has a flat system to listen thru.

Thanks again for the helpful comments, I hear what Bouldersoundguy and Manslick are saying after hearing this is my car, the low end is lacking. I may retrack the bass-I was eqing it today adding bass and the sound started to fill in, I'd rather track it again then use the eq so still in progress. Yeah the drums-I'm already adding a good sized bump around 50-60 hz to the kick, believe it or not, the track is so clicky, mic was too far in the drum, pointed at the beater-lesson learned...

Bluesfordan, I tracked a low lead vocal 3 times-then a high backup 3 times, listened to them, thought they were all bad so I turned all 6 on at once and they somehow softened each other up in an interesting way. Like the old beatles vari speed trick.

Thank you BrokenH and famous beagle, still a noob micing and mixing a real drum kit but I have a good drummer nice big room and some decent gear, learning on the fly.

woah great mix man. whatever changes you made have paid off, for sure. nice clarity to everything. low end could come up a touch, i agree. vocals, to me, could actually come down 0.5 in the verses. nitpicks. sounds really good

Sounds great, Stratomaster! Excellent song writing. I agree the bass seemed a tad low. I thought the vocals sounded super cool though. Guitars were nice and punchy, too. Nice work.

Back