"You Monkeys" (Who We Are)

K-dub

Remix of a funk blues number done by my band and I. Any/all comments warmly welcomed.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving (where celebrated)!

I really like the groove....kick drum is really fat. Very cool bass guitar. Been a while since I listened to your stuff, this is quite different from what I remember. Like the panning stuff going on, and the spoken word sample underneath. Fantastic job , I loved it!!

"Back in the day" ... as my kids were growing up, I usually wound up doing about 80-90% of everything ... including most of the parts and the vocals. Occasionally, folks (like yourself) would throw a track or three into the stew, but it was usually confined to my direction. I didn't have time to devote to a band, so I fit music into my quiet hours.

Then I sold my business, and started a band ... having more time.

My how things changed - top to bottom. Whereas I used to steer the boat by myself, I now take artistic direction and creative input from others. I'm playing the keys here, but I'm doing it in the way our guitarist directed me to play. I'm also only singing one background line. The main vocals are the other guys.

Although I'm the guy who does the final mix, I let our guitarist work out the initial arrangements and he sends me the "cleaned and edited" tracks to mix. He corrects all the miscellaneous crap that occurs, aligns the timing etc ... and does a TON of the early engineering of the mix.

By the time I launch into finish polishing what he sends me, I've got about 25% left to do compared to what I used to do. Accordingly, my ear fatigue is next to nil, and I can devote more thought to "ear candy" production flourishes.

... like Jennifer Lawrence doing the voice over at the end. The vamp was good ... but long, and I thought: Let's put a contextual narrative in there to illustrate what the song is essentially saying. So I dl'd a speech she made on the subject and edited it to fit and flow.

I like that guitar sound!

JJ takes great care about dialing in appropriate tones through his Fender Amp. He never played lead before w/ a slide, but we asked him to do "Handle w/ Care" for the clubs w/ one, and now he can't get enough of it.

JJ takes great care about dialing in appropriate tones through his Fender Amp. He never played lead before w/ a slide, but we asked him to do "Handle w/ Care" for the clubs w/ one, and now he can't get enough of it.
Slides are definitely fun. I thought it sounded “somewhat” Harrison like.

Back