Yet Another Mandolin Duet (YAMD)

keith.rogers

Our son was home for Thanksgiving so before taking them back to the airport (and before force-feeding him the last piece of pumpkin pie :)), we sat down and made ourselves go through this Bach Invention (#2), which we had not done yet. (No video @rob aylestone - thought about it, but it was Sunday morning and we were both behind a music stand reading out of the same book, never mind I was unwashed/unshaven and still in PJs - the wife would have killed me... ;)) Anyhoo here it is.

Keith , Excellent performance ! I was Super impressed by the tone and clairity of both of the instruments. I loved your choice of reverb. Just the right amount of decay and brought out the rich overtones. What did you use on this one if you don't mind sharing ? Enjoyed it .. mark

Keith , Excellent performance ! I was Super impressed by the tone and clairity of both of the instruments. I loved your choice of reverb. Just the right amount of decay and brought out the rich overtones. What did you use on this one if you don't mind sharing ? Enjoyed it .. mark
Thanks Mark. The reverb is in Logic's "Space Designer" (IR loader) and a fairly wet tweak of one of their presets for strings. The recording was done in our son's old bedroom that I've treated a good bit (no longer a bedroom) because it's a small, square room. I used a pair of Soyuz 013 mics and we were a couple feet apart, with the mics about 60 degrees, spaced a foot or so apart and maybe a foot and a half in front of us - basically one on each side of the music stand we were reading off of. The mono tracks were panned a fair amount, too, but still lots of bleed, and you can see a little bit in the screenshot, take of the "mastering" step where I bounce the tracks to stereo, and then slap on Ozone and fiddle around. (The reverb sends are not included in the bounce, so I can still tweak that, too.)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 8.48.11 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 8.48.11 AM.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 2
Keith , Thanks for the reply back. I've got a fairly large amount of IR reverbs to choose from in Cakewalk , but have only actually used one of them. I'd never heard of the mic's you used , so I researched them. They are "for sure" too far out of my reach. I'll have to stick with my AT's and Shures. Thanks .. mark

I liked it like the others.

Nice playing and nice sound. Not much to improve upon.

A little too much reverb to me. I'd make the verb both smaller and dialed back. It would make the whole thing sound a little more intimate.

Back