Would a pair of KRK Rokit 8" G2's be worth it at it's current low price?

Captain471

So KRK recently released G3 of their Rokit series which means their G2 series just had a huge price drop: Rokit 8" G2's are now $150 each (On Amazon), so $300 for a pair (same price as the 5" G3's) rather than $500 a pair as it was last month, almost half off. I'm considering getting a pair of Rokit 8" G2's since it seems like a good deal for the price. Are they? Does the low price outweigh the, I guess you can say, "outdated-ness" of them? Or should I consider waiting and getting some G3's or even another pair of monitors for the long run? For the same price I can get a pair of 5" G3's which I'd consider.

I was actually originally leaning towards getting a pair of Equator D5's, but with the accessory kit and tax, it'd end up being a $483.74 purchase which is a bit out of my budget right now (Rokit 8" G2's plus wires and isolation pads would only end up being $334.38), but I definitely am in need of a new monitoring solution. Only proper thing I have to mix on is a pair of Audio Technica ATH m40fs, which isn't working too well for me.

The only major differences in the G3's are a new cabinet design, wider frequency response range, and a bass adjustment knob on the back. It does sound appealing to have the latest stuff, but I've heard mixes people have done on Rokit G2's and they seem to sound fine, so I'm trying to remind myself that people have done fine mixes on the older hardware.

So in conclusion. What would be the best monitors to get (highly considering price, since that's huge for me):
KRK Rokit 8" G2's (at $300).
KRK Rokit 5" G3's (at $300).
Or:
Wait a little longer and get something more expensive, i.e. Equator D5's (at $450)?

Thanks ahead!

Back