Worth an upgrade?

blinkbudda113

Hey guys. Currently I am running a mac mini/logic setup with a motu 8 pre. I'vd been using the 8 pre setup for a while, and everything I've been recording sounds OK but not nearly as nice as I would like. I'm thinking of upgrading my interface to something a little nicer but I cant decide if it's worth it. I'm really liking the Steinberg MR816 X. I dont really know enough about preamps to know if this upgrade is worth it or if I should spend the money buying some uad plugins (1176 compresor, plutecs eq, helios eq) or spend time time treating my room. Right now all I'm recording with mics is my guitar cabs, but soon I will be setting up an extra room in my house for drums. I have the sound treatment and what not already so I'm looking to get something with around 8 inputs. Any thoughts?

Hey,
It's good to have tools available, but no plug in should be necessary for a base sound that you're happy with.
Room treatment, again, is important, but with loud close-mic electric guitar amps it's much less critical than, say, when you're recording vocals.
The MOTU preamps aren't bad. You hear good and bad about them but they're certainly in the usable bracket. Again...not likely to make that night-and-day difference.

So, I'm wondering if the problem is just down to technique?
Since you're only using mics to record guitars right now, could you post up some clips of your guitar tone, and a description of how you're getting it?

There's a lot of good starting advice floating around here.
Get the amp off the floor, angle it towards you so you can really hear what's happening.
Experiment with mic choice, speaker choice (if there's more than one) etc etc. Get the tone right coming out of the amp and then mic it.

Apologies if that's patronising. There's an overwhelming urge to just record whatever and then make it sound good later. It doesn't work. ;)

Not patronizing at all! I currently have my cab (vox ac15) on a stand. I'm using my trusty am 57 a little off axis to cut out some high end. I'm also experimenting with my new re20 to pick up a little low end.
I'm very much a believer in "crap in crap out" for recording. Basically my main problem is that if I need to record anything that has even a bit if distortion on it the sound is just noise.
I do have a little treatment in my room. I plugged a closet opening in my room with a trap I made using wood and some cotton insulation.
So basically clean sounds great through my interface but anything above slight grit sounds like junk. I'm able to dial in the sound I want with my guitar and pedal (les paul..mxr bad as a distortion) but it just doesn't translate. I'm not looking for a new rock flat distortion by any means but I'd like more than noise.
Sorry I can't post Any clips at the moment. Thanks for the help!

I find the re20 to have a very subtle, natural low end. People always talk about it for low end but really, I don't get it.
Play with it though, certainly. It's a great mic. Just be aware that it's designed to minimise proximity effect.

The 57 is old trusty. It might not be your favourite, but it should definitely get you a decent sound.

There are others here with a lot more e-guitar recording experience. I hope they'll chip in.
Is there any chance you're overdoing it though? I know I said about getting it sounding right in the room first, but I have found that the gain often needs pulled back to less than you'd think for recording. It depends what you're recording and what you want, of course.

What kind of volume is the amp at? I really struggle to get a decent sound at bedroom volumes.

Maybe post some clips when you can?

what speaker is in your AC15? how close is the sm57 exactly to the speaker? it sounds like it might be too close. Have you tried recording the natural sound in the room with the mic further away? it might sound more open and cleaner. The AC15 usually sounds really good as well, especially on the verge of breakup.

Are you using the RE20 AND the sm57 at the same time? because that could be a big problem also.

Back