Worrisome

stratmonkee

Here is a new one I'm working on, possibly aa little over ambitious backing vocal for the chorus for my ability ;>). Wondering how it sounds to fresh ears so far...

Sounds great. Relevant for the times. Loved the instrumental build up around 1:20 or so. Only small nit is I think the vocals feel a bit behind at the beginning and maybe a smidge too much reverb, it’s a little tough to catch all the words.
Guy

I like the sound stage. Great backup vocals! That must of been tricky. My only nits would be I find the main vocal line pokes out a lot (for example Deep DOWN and we're READY'), I find the Down and Ready words disproportionately loud. Maybe a faster compressor attack, if there is one on it, or edit and drop those sections a couple dB. Or maybe that's the way you want it to sound. The guitars sound great.

I like the guitar tone. I love the energy of the tune.

I thought the rhythm was a little loose in spots.

I wasn't thrilled with the bass tone. I thought it was a little too twangy for me. It was also a bit high in the mix.

Maybe pull one of the doubled vocal tracks down just a bit? Maybe.

I like the drum sounds.

Sounds great. Relevant for the times. Loved the instrumental build up around 1:20 or so. Only small nit is I think the vocals feel a bit behind at the beginning and maybe a smidge too much reverb, it’s a little tough to catch all the words.
Guy
I did struggle singing that 1st verse, My friend wrote the lyrics, so sometimes it takes me a bit to get comfortable with a Cadance that works , will look at the reverb , I was thinking a bit to wet as well. Thanks for the feedback!
I like the sound stage. Great backup vocals! That must of been tricky. My only nits would be I find the main vocal line pokes out a lot (for example Deep DOWN and we're READY'), I find the Down and Ready words disproportionately loud. Maybe a faster compressor attack, if there is one on it, or edit and drop those sections a couple dB. Or maybe that's the way you want it to sound. The guitars sound great.
That is something I really need to work on...sometimes I get excited, or, less confident about a line, and will either sing it way louder then what I had been doing, or, I will sing it quiet if I'm not feeling it. Pretty sure that's what's going on here. I will look at adjusting those spots if I can, don't want to sing it again as I'm pretty happy with the rest of it ;>)
Thanks for the feedback!

I like the guitar tone. I love the energy of the tune.

I thought the rhythm was a little loose in spots.

I wasn't thrilled with the bass tone. I thought it was a little too twangy for me. It was also a bit high in the mix.

Maybe pull one of the doubled vocal tracks down just a bit? Maybe.

I like the drum sounds.
Yes, was going for a bit of a loose, perhaps sloppy live feel, doing a number of songs with the lyric writer, and wanted this one to contrast greatly with what we have done previously. That bass tone still a work in progress as I'm learning the P-bass vibes...this one I played closer to the bridge then I usually do and I agree, a bit twangy...also agree needs to come down a bit to settle into the mix better. Always appreciate your ears, thanks for listening!

That is something I really need to work on...sometimes I get excited, or, less confident about a line, and will either sing it way louder then what I had been doing, or, I will sing it quiet if I'm not feeling it. Pretty sure that's what's going on here. I will look at adjusting those spots if I can, don't want to sing it again as I'm pretty happy with the rest of it ;>)
don't want to sing it again?....you did something wrong then. I want to sing them again and again..finding the levels for everything where it sounds like a commercial CD is where I lose it. Sounds ok.

I still think they are all fraudulent products.

I did struggle singing that 1st verse, My friend wrote the lyrics, so sometimes it takes me a bit to get comfortable with a Cadance that works , will look at the reverb , I was thinking a bit to wet as well. Thanks for the feedback!

That is something I really need to work on...sometimes I get excited, or, less confident about a line, and will either sing it way louder then what I had been doing, or, I will sing it quiet if I'm not feeling it. Pretty sure that's what's going on here. I will look at adjusting those spots if I can, don't want to sing it again as I'm pretty happy …….
Yah I get that. I’m not much for singing either and so I end up doing a lot of volume automation on the vocal tracks. also notice it a lot with other band members who aren’t comfortable singing too.

The bass drives the song along really well. On headphones it's a little boomy, you could scoop out the lower 300 area maybe?
It cuts through well, got a nice twang.
Don't listen to me though my hearing is shot :D
Backing vocals are great. I would high pass and compress them and bring them up a bit

I agree with Triple M
- keeper guitar tone. It is competing with the bass to me a bit. I'm hearing a 160hz bump and a lot of 2khz. Try taking down 2khz and soften any 150-200hz boosts. See if that just smooths them out more without competing with the bass and retaining their bite and punch.
- The bass is a little too present to me as well. I think taking it down -2dB in the mix could help. I liked the grit of it and even the buzz of it. I overall wanted to hear more grittiness in the mix though. A little bit of Tape saturation distortion might sound nice.
- the drums have nice tone at the beginning, but they get lost when the mix gets going. The snare ends up sounding like "thwip thwip" instead of the pleasing and spacious thwack you hear at the beginning. Good kick tone. The whole kit could come up like 2 or even 3db. I think that could help.
- as the mix stands, the vocals are very present. But with the above adjustments, they might end up sitting better. I'd say taking just the centre of them down 1 or 1.5 db could make them sit much more in their pocket.

I noticed a weird high end in the track too. the upper mids are lacking. Boosting the top end with a shelf reveals what I can only describe as overly crispy hi hats and snare, so you get none of the 5k crack of the snare and none of the 3k wash of the hats. It's like it's all been shifted to around 12khz. Maybe take a look at he kit EQs and see if something is boosting 12k? I find hi-hats and snares sound great with upper-mids present. I find just turning up hi hats can give a lot of top end by itself. Sometimes snares can use a small top end boost. Depends on the snare though

The bass drives the song along really well. On headphones it's a little boomy, you could scoop out the lower 300 area maybe?
It cuts through well, got a nice twang.
Don't listen to me though my hearing is shot :D
Backing vocals are great. I would high pass and compress them and bring them up a bit
Cool, thanks Bulls , I have not done much eq yet, am going to revisit this one with all the feedback I've received, still have not gotten the bass tone I want...
Good drive and full of energy.
I like it.
Cool man, thanks!
I agree with Triple M
- keeper guitar tone. It is competing with the bass to me a bit. I'm hearing a 160hz bump and a lot of 2khz. Try taking down 2khz and soften any 150-200hz boosts. See if that just smooths them out more without competing with the bass and retaining their bite and punch.
- The bass is a little too present to me as well. I think taking it down -2dB in the mix could help. I liked the grit of it and even the buzz of it. I overall wanted to hear more grittiness in the mix though. A little bit of Tape saturation distortion might sound nice.
- the drums have nice tone at the beginning, but they get lost when the mix gets going. The snare ends up sounding like "thwip thwip" instead of the pleasing and spacious thwack you hear at the beginning. Good kick tone. The whole kit could come up like 2 or even 3db. I think that could help.
- as the mix stands, the vocals are very present. But with the above adjustments, they might end up sitting better. I'd say taking just the centre of them down 1 or 1.5 db could make them sit much more in their pocket.

I noticed a weird high end in the track too. the upper mids are lacking. Boosting the top end with a shelf reveals what I can only describe as overly crispy hi hats and snare, so you get none of the 5k crack of the snare and none of the 3k wash of the hats. It's like it's all been shifted to around 12khz. Maybe take a look at he kit EQs and see if something is boosting 12k? I find hi-hats and snares sound great with upper-mids present. I find just turning up hi hats can give a lot of top end by itself. Sometimes snares can use a small top end boost. Depends on the snare though
Thanks for the great feedback, will try your suggestions.. Im very guilty of just firing up my bass guitar and letting it rip when tracking...I need to slow down a little and try to dial in a good tone right at the start rather then thinking I can fix in the mix :>)...will try your suggestions!

Back