Work in progress - Guitar tone check - Black I (sample)

BCF1

Hey just a snip-it of a song in currently working on. Interested in thoughts on guitar tone,(in any context)
The bass tone I feel needs to be more aggressive ? Edgy ? Modern ? Something.
Not sure of the genre (Alternative Metal/Grunge Rock) whatever. It's Rock n Roll
Anyway here's a short sample

Any thoughts appreciated......... Thank you !

Nice, I think it's a great sample. I like that kind of guitar tone, but I would need to listen again to give a better comment. I tend to favor edgy basses, but in this case maybe contrast might help as far as a bass tone. I am writing a song that is in a similar vein, more like Ozzy meets Metallica. I have no idea what I will use for a bass, but I have found that contrast in the mix is a good thing. I have learned this very recently from our members. My immediate thought is to do the unexpected, whatever that may be. I really like this, good luck and let us know where you go with it ok?

Nice, I think it's a great sample. I like that kind of guitar tone, but I would need to listen again to give a better comment. I tend to favor edgy basses, but in this case maybe contrast might help as far as a bass tone. I am writing a song that is in a similar vein, more like Ozzy meets Metallica. I have no idea what I will use for a bass, but I have found that contrast in the mix is a good thing. I have learned this very recently from our members. My immediate thought is to do the unexpected, whatever that may be. I really like this, good luck and let us know where you go with it ok?

Appreciate the comment !!

The bass thing for me could be more psychological, maybe.
I really dislike the bass I used for this, actually I dislike it for everything.
It's a Epiphone Rock Bass that was given to me to replace an Ibanez bass I let someone borrow and while they had it it was stolen(or so they said) Anyway it's always been really lifeless and dull even with new strings. Just pisses me off...lol Sorry I'm over it. Really 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Nice groove there. The guitar sounds good. The bass.. is too timid and sounds like it's in the next room. Maybe try the bridge pup alone with tone at 90-100 and vol 100. Some distortion maybe blended in on a separate buss. Just a starting point.

Nice groove there. The guitar sounds good. The bass.. is too timid and sounds like it's in the next room. Maybe try the bridge pup alone with tone at 90-100 and vol 100. Some distortion maybe blended in on a separate buss. Just a starting point.
Thanks for the input
I got a new bass today !! Going to re track

I like the wall of sound guitars but the drums are compressed a bit too heavily for my liking. Perhaps try rolling off a bit on that? That’s just my preference though! Look forward to hearing new mixes.

I like the wall of sound guitars but the drums are compressed a bit too heavily for my liking. Perhaps try rolling off a bit on that? That’s just my preference though! Look forward to hearing new mixes.
Will definitely keep the drum compression in mind in the coming mixes.
I imagine once I retrack the bass that will change everything and the current overall mix (pseudo master) will need to be revisited.

The main rhythm guitars (the little bit there are in the sample) are quad tracked, two different amps, two different chord voicings, one pair focused more low end, the other more toward the highs, one pair 100/100 the other 75/75, with the other fill/accent lick(?) Track up the middle.

Thanks for the listen and the input. Much appreciated

What bass did you get?
Didn't drop much cash.
I went with a Ibanez SR300EB
seemed to have decent range of sounds and with a little bit of setup it has really nice action/playability.
I think for the price point it's a good option.

I'm sure it's very nice, I have had several Ibanez guitars and they are quality instruments, even the more affordable ones. Congrats!

I'm sure it's very nice, I have had several Ibanez guitars and they are quality instruments, even the more affordable ones. Congrats!
Thanks !
Guitar being my main instrument, I've always kept a bass around also. This new one is my third Ibanez. Still have my late 60's Ibanez SG bass or lawsuit Era as some call them, which is cool but a different beast from a modern-day offering. This new one and the bass prior both being of the more affordable offerings in the line up I have found to be really a lot of bang for the buck. I would and did buy another one. Admittedly I didn't try every bass out there before buying this one but very happy with it 🙂🙂

Back