Why do we come here?

Smithers XKR

Firstly I just want to say that this is a great forum and I have gained so much help from here.

I have to admit slightly that my motives for being on here are slightly selfish, I want to get technical info.

I am a 57 year old musician guy who has recently retired and setting up all of my music gear back up again in a small room.

There are retired professional sound engineers here offering free advice and I am just soaking it all up.

And have had some nice chats with oldies like me about all genres of music recording and all formats and eras.

Its great to be here 🥰🥰😉😉🤘🤘👍👍

I started coming here around 99. Was just starting into computer recording and there was NO WHERE to get info on making computers running Windows 95 to play nice with the very few interface offerings at the time. It's a great resource.

I guess for me, there's a ,kind of weird pride in stopping people doing the wrong things, or taking really dodgy internet advice, some of which is really wrong. I'm really good at sucking up trivia and remembering it - so when I hear people have trouble, asking to help - I like to think it's the right thing to do, to help. I'm not an expert on anything, but good enough to be paid for a very wide range of things.

It's give and take for me. I have received plenty of helpful information and I believe in paying it forward so I am more than happy to give information when I think it will actually help someone.

There are retired professional sound engineers here offering free advice and I am just soaking it all up.
There certainly are and we lost a few amazing ones ( example Harvey Gerst) due to a few bad apples that have since gotten the permanent Ban. Like Track Rat I came here in 99 seeking knowledge on how to pull off recordings in the box. As he noted when David "Dragon" Fiedler established HR.com there was a mere pittance of places to go to figure this shit out... 23 years later my how things have changed and how easy it has become...but still the same dilemma, garbage in garbage out ...whats a hack to do? Dang!

Prime Time replaced what actually put HR.Com on the map. The Dragon Cave. That is now a section of this BBS that is sadly deleted and gone for all time. IMO a terribly bad decision made by the new owners and mods of the time. All because of the bad apples that in the end got the permanent Ban ..Unlike many old web sites that you can look up on the time machine searches, the Dragon Cave was a members only login protected forum within HR.com. If you weren't logged in, you could visit all the rest of the HR.com forums but not post..The Cave however was only viewable to logged in members.. David did this because as he described it, it was an internet biker bar of sorts where freedom of speech reigned. So the spiders that collect all that data were not able to take the snapshots of what went on in there thus you can find nothing of the dragon cave on the internets. You will find mentions of it but when you click the links there in nothing because the pages were not recorded...Some incredible threads funny as hell, dramatic and sad as hell. It was awesome and soon became the watering hole of all of us like minded crazy musicians to shoot the shit, give each other shit and in the end become a collective of knuckleheaded musicians from all around the world that became internet buds. We had Jamfest where we would congregate in real world and jam....You had to be incredibly idiotic to get a spanking for what you posted in the Cave. Nothing was off the table swear words, nudity :eek: I mentioned The Cave is what put HR,Com on the map. Dragon hated the fact that he had built this site to discuss recording and 90+% of the traffic was happening in the cave..WTF? He wanted to kill the Cave but fortunately didn't to his betterment..See all that traffic put him on the map and gave HR.Com advertising value $$$$$$ start to see the picture...Yep Audiofanzine came in and made David an offer he couldn't refuse and here we are today owned by a music merchandising company. They have been very cool about letting this site continue and the mods are great guys most all are volunteers. Don't always agree with them but they let Prime Time ( Which Dragon created as a PG version of the Cave for his girlfriend at the time) become the new watering hole.

So all these years later there are a ton of places one can go to learn just about anything you want about any kind of equipment or software you might use to record audio.
That said there are a lot of really knowledgeable folks that hang here and that are extremely generous and kind in sharing their knowledge with those who need a little lift up.

I still learn stuff here , I have a lot to learn. That said, I totally come here way more often just to shoot the shit with like minded musician buds ..We are a strange group and I enjoy the craziness of it all. Some brilliant talented folks and a few dumbasses ...a PG rated Biker Bar of musicians :laughings:

I have no idea why this is out there on the HR.Com server or how you would navigate to it from this BBS but when I googled David Fiedler I came up with this page ..that is on the HR.Com servers as of this moment...Below is what HR.Com looked like back in the day...logo's n all

1668438814864.png

Last edited:
The Cave was fast moving, had so many posts it was nearly chat speed at times, lots of energy and input, it got emo at times and crap I posted being gone is not what I'll miss, but those times and folks aren't returning, it was a moment in time and led to Jamfests where we actually met some of us, which was amazing, nurts.

To be and not to be...That is the answer and the dilemma... I AM WHAT I AM and that's all I AM
How profound :D

Since you’re ‘preachin’, here’s some gospel for you.

Last edited:
Nice to see this place survived and a lot of the founding "Gang" is here.
I think I joined back in the original days... I cant tell by my profile when I started.
(edited... ok it was 2002)

I am back just to chill, and give my opinions (for what it is worth) in a respectful manner.
I recently retired to just running the studio and now I have time to just hang out...LOL

"Why do we come here?"

I guess everyone has their reason(s). But this site is an absolutely extraordinary resource. Kind, generous people offering a wealth of knowledge and experience. There's nothing quite like it.

Back