Why do people hang their condenser microphones upside down?

Is deja vu on my deja vu triple jeopardy or does the inverse square law apply and make it quadruple jeopardy?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Lately I've just been keeping the studio the right way up and hanging the singer from the ceiling! :eek:

It's great fun when they ask for a glass of water.

That's hilarious I was going to say the same exact thing minus the glass of water before I read that haha.

I haven't ever implemented hanging microphones but reading through this thread it sounds like I should be. I didn't realize there were actual benefits to doing it, really thought it was a cosmetic thing or at best to get it out of the way...:facepalm:

There is a photo somewhere of a "Country" studio in The South where they have a score or more of mics hanging from the roof and I believe they use little else? Will try to find it.

I used to hang mics overhead to stop the buggers touching! I had a lot of kids and amdrams to see to.

BTW, for voice overs NEVER give a non-pro a paper script!

Dave.

Everyone knows that an upside down mike sounds better than a right way up one. It gives a more analog warmth to the sound because of hot air rising

Uhh, what? You get that warm sound by having some heat rising into the capsule, tube mics sound cold and clinical upside down. Noob.

Back