Which VSTi or Synthesizer do you use for recording?

aorkennykiller

Hey i'm new to the whole home recording studio hobby and was wondering what VSTi do you use for your keyboard? I am a Pianist/Vocalist that is looking to record some casual covers and possibly originals for fun.

Hello “aorkennykiller”!

I know there are a lot of VST’s, and even more when it comes to piano. But one I can advise, 'cause I use it a lot, is “sonatina symphonic orchestra”, a very good and also free VST, which includes each orchestra instrument, and also a great Grand Piano.

I also hear a lot of good things about a VST called “Piano One”, but I never tried that out.

Check this out, I’m sure you can find a lot of good stuff:

KVR: Plug-ins - KVR Ranks

I dont think you can go wrong with Kontakt by Native Instruments and any of its libraries...Alicias Keys is one of the best piano libraries out there

but its not free

I dont think you can go wrong with Kontakt by Native Instruments and any of its libraries...Alicias Keys is one of the best piano libraries out there

but its not free

And this touches on one of the problems I have with deciding where to throw my money. When I look at what's available it always comes down to samples and triggers. I can buy just the samples (e.g., N.I. KOMPLETE 8 Ultimate), just a trigger (e.g. Korg microKEY, Akai MPK88), or a trigger that includes samples (e.g., Korg microARRANGER, N.I. Maschine MK2). In regards to the latter the bundled samples may... or may not... be used independent of the hardware.

At this point you get to fold in complexity: what triggers (pads, sliders, keys, dials, touchpad) are available, how do they feel, respond? Regarding samples: what's the polyphony (how realistic are the sounds), what is included in the library (Alicias Keys has only a grand piano near as I can figure out). And it helps to ask yourself what else completes the equation... how much processing power are you going to need, how much time are you going to invest climbing a learning curve?

It ain't easy figuring this shi... stuff... out.

but its not free

I co-sign the Alicia's Keys plugin. It's dope...and native instruments is always the way to go, as no other plugins libraries continue to grow at the rates NI's do. You're not limited to the original sounds included when you get most NI plugins. Between them releasing new libraries, users creating libraries and the ability for you to create your own sounds, you won't be disappointed or run out of options.

And this touches on one of the problems I have with deciding where to throw my money. When I look at what's available it always comes down to samples and triggers. I can buy just the samples (e.g., N.I. KOMPLETE 8 Ultimate), just a trigger (e.g. Korg microKEY, Akai MPK88), or a trigger that includes samples (e.g., Korg microARRANGER, N.I. Maschine MK2). In regards to the latter the bundled samples may... or may not... be used independent of the hardware.

At this point you get to fold in complexity: what triggers (pads, sliders, keys, dials, touchpad) are available, how do they feel, respond? Regarding samples: what's the polyphony (how realistic are the sounds), what is included in the library (Alicias Keys has only a grand piano near as I can figure out). And it helps to ask yourself what else completes the equation... how much processing power are you going to need, how much time are you going to invest climbing a learning curve?

It ain't easy figuring this shi... stuff... out.

At some point you just have to go for it. If you want to play soft synths buy a MIDI controller. I recommend the Akai MPK-61, because it will do key splits. I have an MPK-49 and it's a great little controller. The key action is a little stiffer than on my Voyager. The pads are meh---- not as sophisticated as the pads on the more expensive Akai sequencers. The knobs/switches/sliders are all assignable and the contoller holds something like 20 patches for setups with different instruments. I have patches for controlling the Taurus3 bass parameters and even one for controlling a Moog MIDI MuRF pedal.

If you want the total package I would say look into the Yamaha Motifs. The samples are really great and the keyboard action is really great too. Bring money.

Polyphony varies by instrument. A sampled trumpet is going to be enabled as a monophonic instrument in most circumstances that I have encountered. A bass is generally going to be poly, unless it is a sampled analog monophonic synth bass. Dig? The idea of sampling in most cases of instruments is to present the attributes of the instrument as if you were actually playing it.

As far as the OP: I use a Moog Voyager Electric Blue, a Moog Taurus 3 bass pedal, Dimension Pro, and just picked up EZKeys Grand.

Back