Which Preamps Do Dirt and Grit?

bgavin

Q: Which single-channel preamps offer useful dial-a-dirt and grit?

I am considering the Studio Projects VTB1, and similar with variable tube over drive.
A foot switch for Clean/Dirty would be even nicer.

The intended use is live vocals only, no instrument.
My vocal talent is limited to bar shouting, so I want to rough up my PA's sterile SM58+Mackie tone.
I'd like to find a decent unit that add grit, not just mud.

I'm also exploring gritty mics in a different thread.
A controllable preamp would be much more flexible than a 1-trick mic.

I gotta think that if you put a gain control footswitch on that EH 12AY7 preamp that it would do exactly what you'd want. I mean they built that thing in a footswitch case . . . but I've never popped one open so I don't know if there is room for that mod.

hmm interesting. for live i'd probably get a cheapy blues driver pedal with a pretty low overdrive setting. to hook it up you could run the mic into the pedal and the pedal out to the board...i think that should work. That way you'd have a clean/dirty footswitch too.

I can't think of any preamps that would be good for live and give you the sort of sound you sound like you're looking for.

Why not plug into something like a pignose amp? It has a line out and it can also be mic'd. The low headroom and small speaker breaks up nicely for things like harmonica and blues-style electric guitar, so I don't see why it wouldn't give you exactly what you're looking for - for a fraction of the price of a preamp.

Back