Which portable mic setup for capturing thunderstorm audio?

Derek Weston

Hi. Need something I can mate with a camcorder/portable recorder to capture some high quality natural thunderstorm audio. I want big, emersive audio, I want the viewer to be drawn into the storm. The thunder,wind,rain, and roar of a tornado should it be present. (a big requirement obviously being dealing with wind well)

This will mostly be done from a distance without rain, however. We'll be out in front of the storm, jump out of a car, and setup our rig facing the storm for a take.

Currently using a decent 120 dollar(ish) shotgun.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the best tool to get this job done at a reasonable price. (sub 300 ideally)

Thanks!

How does your mic currently interface with the camcorder? XLR with or without 48 volt phantom would be ideal but maybe not absolutely necessary.

My first choice would be an ENG mic. Typically a dynamic omni such as the EV 635a. Shure and Sennheiser make similar mics. They're unlikely to be damaged in those conditions. Omni mics have a good amount of rejection of wind artifacts. Very difficult to aim them in the wrong direction. Excellent off axis response. I suppose a lavalier mic or small condenser with an omni pattern would also work. Easier to find something like that if it has to interface to the camcorder via a mini phone plug. One of those foam windscreen things will most likely help.

If you want to record the sound of wind you might have to devise some kind of screen or flag or tarp or something that makes a lot of noise in the wind and have it close to the mic while you're recording. It can be off camera if you're using an omni.

If you're not using an omni the mic is likely to react to the wind resulting in an annoying low end mess that sounds nothing like actual wind.

+1
Except maybe for the 635 is kinda intentionally rolled off isn't it? Shoot I don't know off hand how much you'd have to get into to get one with response down into the basement, but man if you can grab some of that low roll' :)
How about here?
Naiant - Microphones

The 635 came to mind just because it's proven in the elements. But yeah a condenser that goes down farther would have a better chance of sounding huge. Naiants are within the budget for sure.

Another thing that crossed my mind was foley. Gotta wonder how they get these things onto film sometimes.

Then there's the "Thunder Can" but it's not exactly a natural thing.

How does your mic currently interface with the camcorder? XLR with or without 48 volt phantom would be ideal but maybe not absolutely necessary.

My first choice would be an ENG mic. Typically a dynamic omni such as the EV 635a. Shure and Sennheiser make similar mics. They're unlikely to be damaged in those conditions. Omni mics have a good amount of rejection of wind artifacts. Very difficult to aim them in the wrong direction. Excellent off axis response. I suppose a lavalier mic or small condenser with an omni pattern would also work. Easier to find something like that if it has to interface to the camcorder via a mini phone plug. One of those foam windscreen things will most likely help.

If you want to record the sound of wind you might have to devise some kind of screen or flag or tarp or something that makes a lot of noise in the wind and have it close to the mic while you're recording. It can be off camera if you're using an omni.

If you're not using an omni the mic is likely to react to the wind resulting in an annoying low end mess that sounds nothing like actual wind.

Interesting. Hadn't considered omni mics.

Most likely shooting without XLR. Have been mounting on DSLR with standard mic in

With the omni... am I going to have to worry about surrounding noises from people and vehicles then? I assume so... this is why I was thinking a shotgun pointed away towards storm may be better. But maybe not. Just want really good, loud, clear, emersive audio.

No experience in this per say, never used a shotgun mic but to quote Snow Lizard..
Rule of thumb is as they get more directional this gets worse. I can think of three examples where cardioid condensers, even with foam over mics wasn't near enough protection from mild breezes generating rather massive amounts of rumble.
I'm wondering then if your existing mic is doing this--? if you noticed, or maybe it's rolled off?

Back