Which Mic on Which Drum

4tracker

These are my mics:

2 LRM-1 Ribbon Microphones
3 small condensers (2 octava) and 1 from Line Audio
1 Electrovoice RE11
1 Shure 433 Dynamic Omni
1 Line Audio condenser Omni

I need to record a family member's drum kit with these mics. Which would you use and where?

I am thinking:

RE11: kick
NHA SCD snare
2 Ribbons as overheads (though I am concerned about the figure-8 pattern).

I feel if I use the condensers on both overheads and snare it'll be too bright. Would miking the snare condenser closer make it darker and balance out the kit if I do decide to use condensers on overhead? The room is...a garage. Not ideal conditions. We're using blankets and such to deaden it.

Thank you

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about using a condenser on snare as long as it can handle high SPL's. You get some very nice transient response and if you want to darken it you can use EQ.

Leave the ribbons and omnis in a box. I'd bet your blanketed garage will sound like ass. The last thing you need is a bunch of bad room sound.

Do you guys think the Electrovoice RE11 would be the best choice for kick?
Here is its frequency response: Electro-Voice Model RE11

Yes, I know the room will sound bad. These are 15 year old family members I'm trying to help out.

Do you guys think the Electrovoice RE11 would be the best choice for kick?
Here is its frequency response: Electro-Voice Model RE11

Yes, I know the room will sound bad. These are 15 year old family members I'm trying to help out.

That's not a good kick mic, but neither are any of the others you have available, so sure, use it. I wouldn't stick a ribbon or condenser in there.

Use the RE11 for the kick
Use your two matched SDCs for overheads
Use the third SDC for the snare.

If you go with the Oktava Condensers on overheads you should see if you can borrow an SM57 or SM58. An omni on snare might introduce some issues with bleed.

I'm always odd, I would be very tempted to change the omnis to closer than normal overheads and use the figure of 8 ribbons on the toms

Back