Which compressors do you use on different sound sources?

random effect

I know that everyone has different plugins and outboard gear but i know that a lot of the emulations are suited better for different tasks.. i guess what im asking is would you use an la-2a emulation on vox and maybe an 1176 on guitar? vice versa? fairchild on a vocal or do you like it better on acoustic gtr? I know everytime i hit record i come up with something that may make me think twice about which plugin i normally reach for and i also know that theres no SET rules.. but i would just like to hear from you guys what you prefer on what.

I have waves mercury with all the classic comps and vcomp.. also the api 2500, ssl master buss comp, and puichild 660 and 670.

If I want some dirt I LOVE the vcomp and puigchild but if I want a real clean discreet sounding comp ill reach for the api or ssl.

What do you guys like?

I have a great plugin-package with several compressors/amps/limiters - but for the life of me i can't remember what its called - and my mixing computer is shutdown cause of the storm and I am in bed. I will check on it tomorrow and get you the name - found them on KVR

I use the same one on everything cause I am lazy and not really that great at mixing :p

haha well I don't know why but ive become obsessed with the subtle differences between different emulations.. I REALLY want the real thing (fairchild, 1176, la2a or ssl) but i haven't won the lotto yet.. however the waves stuff is supposed to be very good at getting you close to that tone.

.. la-2a emulation on vox and maybe an 1176 on guitar? vice versa? fairchild ...?
I have some general impressions (these in UAD,) and a few others, but about half the time (..no probably more often) it's go through them, no go and end up with a good straight forward fully configurable one and dial in where that leads.
The Timeworks comp that came with Sonar (2?), the BlueCat' dynamics..

I can relate to aggressive vs smooth on the 1176 vs La2a, and sometimes that guess pans out, but more often it's about attack and release.

..hey, have some nice luck with the 'TransientDesigner plug on ac guitar instead of more comp. (..tracked with compression

right. but isn't the 1176 capable of a much faster attack than the la-2a emulations by default? also has an adjustable release so i guess some things need the extra tweaking that the 1176 affords as apposed to just slapping on an la-2a and rolling with it.

Back