which cables do i need?

rachel.hancock

Hi

I want to buy my boyfriend a basic home recording setup. He has mates with professional setups so this is just for recording vocals n poss keyboard when writing music to send to people he is working with.

I'm looking at the berhinger eurorack ub802 but don't know what cables I'd need.

He has a shure sm58 Mic and our pc is just bog standard, it was good 6 years ago.

So please which cables? Or
Is there a similar priced setup that would be better?

I know it's cheeky but amazon.co.UK links would be incredible!
Thank you
Rach

Hi Rachel,

With a USB audio interface like that behringer, all you need for input is:
Microphone - XLR to XLR cable - Interface - Usb cable - Computer.

If he has speakers that he wants to connect to the interface (which is the way to go) then those cables will depend on the type of speakers he has.
You'll need two cables and the interface end of them will look like this.
These are not the same as an instrument cable. Note two black rings, not one.
What speakers does he have?

Just a thought: There may not be any advantage to getting a little mixer interface.
There are other options out there that just have mic input and gain.
Look at tascam US**, presonus audiobox etc.

PS: That's just the fist XLR to XLR cable I saw. You may find cheaper ones.
Expensive does not = better audio quality. It might mean more durable, but that's all.

Thank you for the quick reply. It's so helpful.

Speakerwise I have some alright creative speakers in the pc at the moment and he has some large bush hifi speakers that aren't hooked up to anything right now. I think that I'll probably let him deal with that unless it's totally essential.

Thanks again
:)

What I told my wife after the last birthday gift had to be returned: next time just give me a gift certificate for (music store)!

Back