where to get cable and plugs

kikling

I'm starting to make my own cables to save mula. anyone know a place in Los Angeles (preffabely close to sherman Oaks, not guitar center, to $$$)where i could get it cheap. I would need to buy 1/4 plugs, xlr plugs and cables for each of those. please help

Check out http://www.markertek.com
I just had them make some custom cables for me. Canare cable and Switchcraft connectors. I wouldn't exactly call what I got cheap ... but I think they also sell bulk cable if you want to make your own. That could save some $.
I'd order their paper catalog though ... the search that they have on their site isn't the best.
Good luck.

Is there a MARS near you? they have a good selection, maybe just a little cheaper that GC.

-jhe

kikling said:
I'm starting to make my own cables to save mula. anyone know a place in Los Angeles (preffabely close to sherman Oaks, not guitar center, to $$$)where i could get it cheap. I would need to buy 1/4 plugs, xlr plugs and cables for each of those. please help

Try Parts Express.

http://www.partsexpress.com

They sell bulk Cable and Connectors.

Tim

You gotta read more than the first 2 sentences. You can get bulk cables & connectors there too so you can solder your own. I elected to have them make them because I've already inhaled way too much of that shit for my own good ;)

BigKahuna said:
You gotta read more than the first 2 sentences. You can get bulk cables & connectors there too so you can solder your own. I elected to have them make them because I've already inhaled way too much of that shit for my own good ;)

Hi Big Kahuna!

I thought they were a bit pricey for me on the Cables-but if you buy more than 6, or so they weren't that bad.

I'm designing a 1/4" TRS to several Patchpints Box, and When I'm done-I'm gonna have Markertek do the Punchouts for me.
It would take me forever to drill a 3-rackpasce box with
16 channels of multiple patchpoints! I'm not THAT crazy! Hahahaha

Tim

Hi Tim

They sell StarQuad for 43¢/ft. With switchcraft connectors, you can make a 10' mic cable for $8.28 (plus shipping, of course). I really don't know if that's the greatest price or not ... I really didn't shop around too much for bulk cables or connectors. So, sorry if that's not a good fit for you kikling ... I just know that they sell bulk and cheaper brands ... that's why I posted the url.
I agree, the pre-made cables were a bit pricey ... but considering it's Canare cable and connectors (I was wrong in thinking these were switchcraft before) and professionally put together ... I think it was worth it. At least it was for me.
I got 16 10'trs cables (like you mention, you get quantity pricing if you buy more than 5) ...which was enough to hook up my patchbay which has been sitting here useless for months. A little spendy ... yeah ... but I couldn't see myself working on all those connections and still doing a good job. I've done it a couple times and know my limitations now.
I made a 16ch snake for my band about 5 years ago ... then I did this studio about 3 years ago ... which was 18 mic , 8 headphones and 4 unbalanced lines.
I don't have much patience with soldering ... and I just got sloppier and sloppier as it went on. It sucks when you are so tired of soldering and you stll have like 20 lines left to do! The thing is I know 20 is really not that many ... there's probably some tech guys that can do hundreds or thousands of connections and don't even think much of it. I'm just not one of them.
All in all, I think I did a pretty marginal job. It got done eventually, though. :) I had the wall jacks punched and connectors fastened to them, at least. I got all the stuff for both projects from a local electronics store. I knew nothing about cable and made the wrong choices. It works OK ... but in my opinion .. I think that I wasted my time and money by doing it myself and going with cheaper cable.
This is why I paid the extra $ and had them make it this time. I can trust their connections much more than mine. Plus, all I had to do was plug them in ... which I can handle.

Good luck with your patchbay Tim! ... I feel for ya. :D

[Edited by BigKahuna on 09-09-2000 at 22:29]

Back