Where should I set up?

Real100

I posted this in the Small Room Acoustics thread, but I'm posting here as a separate thread. I'm moving to a new home and trying to plan how to set up my music studio, which is really just a DAW set up . (floorplan attached)

My home doesn't have the "game room" from the floorplan. Instead, it's a bedroom with a door, carpet, and closet. But, I could hire someone to get rid of the closet and install different flooring. Then, I would have a 14x10 room with 9 foot ceilings. Or, I could just put my desk in the main living area which is a large open space with no separation between family room and kitchen. This entire space has tile flooring. I'm trying to decide if it's worth tearing out the closet and installing room treatment in the bedroom. Or, if 14x10 is too small and not worth all the effort. Maybe I would be better off just putting my desk in the family room, but then if I use the 38% rule and set up going the long way, I will take up a lot of my living space. It would be nice to have the studio in the separate room to have it out of the way. What do you guys think? Is 14x10x9 worth using for a studio? I think I'm leaning towards taking the closet out and adding room treatment and trying to make the 14x10 room work. But, then I hear folks like Dennis Foley at Acoustic Fields saying any room under 1,500 cubic feet don't even bother. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on the room if I won't be able to make it work well.

Attachments

• Floorplan.png
    Floorplan.png
    2 MB · Views: 8
The 38% rule is good for large spaces, not practical for most small home 'studios'. With the big space, you are going to be dealing with all the stuff that's in there, multiple doorways and windows and openings, uneven ceiling (?), noise from the fridge, etc.

Back