When is enough, ENOUGH?

Old Music Guy

I just purchased a brand new Taylor. I had full buy in from the Missus.
We were having dinner tonight, and we got to talking about it. During our conversation this happened:
WIFE: So, how many guitars do you have now?
ME: *crickets*
WIFE: *Quizzical look*
ME: I don't really know. 13? 15? I don't know. I really have lost track.

When is enough, enough?
Asking for a friend

Ask her how many pairs of shoes she has.
Ask her how many rings she has.

"..... well..... I've got about a bunch..... but they are all different..... so I need them all."

....and that's when the fight started!
 alt=

I don't worry that I have too many, it's more about "how many do I play". There are only a couple that I haven't played in the past month, and I've got a dozen. There are days when I might play 5 different guitars. Quite a few I got as very good deals, and I don't flip them. When I buy a guitar, I fully expect to keep it. My oldest guitar is 50 yrs old. The most recent one I bought 6 years ago.

Correction... I have the Gibson BR-3 lapsteel that my dad had. I think its a 1946 model, but I don't play lapsteel, so it really doesn't count.

I have guitars that I haven’t played in months. Forgotten all about them.
But then…….. one day It comes out of the case, and it’s like being reunited with an old friend and I remember why I loved that guitar.

So basically I’ll rotate my guitars. Only 2 or 3 are in active use at a time.

Last edited:
I don't worry that I have too many, it's more about "how many do I play".
I have guitars that I haven’t played in months. Forgotten all about them.
But then…….. one day It comes out of the case, and it’s like being reunited with an old friend and I remember why I loved that guitar.
Both of these statements are so very true.
I bought a guitar stand that holds 7 (I managed to fit 8). Some of them I leave in their case for safety. As @TalismanRich askes, "How many do I play?" All of them. Whatever suits my mood.
As @RFR so sublimely says, "Like being reunited with an old friend" I guess that's probably the ultimate truth.
Maybe someday I WILL count them. NAH! :)
I love all the different takes on how attached we all are to our instruments.

When is enough, enough?
Asking for a friend
It dependent on the wife more than it’s dependent on the judgement of the ‘Friend’ - too many guitars are when it bothers her - and no it doesn’t matter how many shoes she may have - that should never be brought up - expecially when you want to justify something.

I just purchased a brand new Taylor. I had full buy in from the Missus.
We were having dinner tonight, and we got to talking about it. During our conversation this happened:
WIFE: So, how many guitars do you have now?
ME: *crickets*
WIFE: *Quizzical look*
ME: I don't really know. 13? 15? I don't know. I really have lost track.

When is enough, enough?
Asking for a friend
As soon as you get one more you will have enough…..

The last guitar that I bought.... was purchased because I liked the looks of it. Is that bad?

I thought it might just sit there and look handsome. But I ended up using it on the last song I recorded. Turns out - it plays and sounds great.

I used to get the "why do you need that one, what does it do that the others don't?" when I would buy something I had more than one of.

Well, my wife is a geologist and has a rock collection. Years ago I went to a rock and mineral show with her. She was showing me this rock and telling me how interesting it was. I asked her, "so, what does this rock do, that all those other rocks at home don't"? HAAAA!!!! She didn't throw it at me, but since then, I haven't really had to explain if I buy something.

I've also found, when you have several of "X", it's harder for them to tell when a new one shows up.

I guess never? 80s Yamaha FG335 w/factory electronics and HSC, 275.00. I wanted a pickup installed in my other acoustic six string but when I was told the price I said I would just buy a guitar with one already in it. I don't like cutaways, so, this came up and I bought it. I don't think I will regret it? It needs new strings bad.

Attachments

• g.webp
    g.webp
    495 KB · Views: 12
  • g1.webp
    g1.webp
    572 KB · Views: 12
  • g2.webp
    g2.webp
    515 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I used to get the "why do you need that one, what does it do that the others don't?" when I would buy something I had more than one of.

Well, my wife is a geologist and has a rock collection. Years ago I went to a rock and mineral show with her. She was showing me this rock and telling me how interesting it was. I asked her, "so, what does this rock do, that all those other rocks at home don't"? HAAAA!!!! She didn't throw it at me, but since then, I haven't really had to explain if I buy something.

I've also found, when you have several of "X", it's harder for them to tell when a new one shows up.
I left one purchase out for about six months before the wife asked the where, why and when questions!

I'm still buying guitars, because it pleases me.
The latest is a Jackson King V.
Have been playing metal guitars for a while, and just got my tele out of its case after around a year in hibernation.
What a great guitar the tele is.
keeps me off the streets.

Back