When I Arrived

K-dub

Been remixing a TON as of late. Sorry about flooding the board. This one is a bit of a study in the usage of single/double track on the lead vocal to "boost" lines for impact. This technique goes back to the earliest days of recording and was used extensively by George Martin w/ Beatles tunes.

This piece, though, was modeled after a Prince song.

I didn't originally blend the additional vocals in, but I think it really does add quite a bit.

Modeled after a Prince tune? Sounds more Mr Blue Sky meets the Beatles to me. Never mind. I remembered this one even before I hit play. It is *so* hard hitting. Those snare hits are like studs on a leather jacket. I think 'you really have arrived' sums it up. I forgot to listen for added vocals and just listened to the whole thing. Which means it worked!

Modeled after a Prince tune? Sounds more Mr Blue Sky meets the Beatles to me. Never mind. I remembered this one even before I hit play. It is *so* hard hitting. Those snare hits are like studs on a leather jacket. I think 'you really have arrived' sums it up. I forgot to listen for added vocals and just listened to the whole thing. Which means it worked!
Yeah ... but for the life of me, I cannot remember which one it was. I get the "Mr Blue Sky" reference.

What I found is the layered vocals make the piece "breath" better in sonic interest. They add subtle emphasis where placed. They "lift".

Last edited:
I love the power pop vibe of this! Not hearing Prince, for me Beatles/Matthew Sweet perhaps with a little upbeat Wilco :>). A great combo imo. Great vocals! Love that snare sound as well , really pops!

Been remixing a TON as of late. Sorry about flooding the board. This one is a bit of a study in the usage of single/double track on the lead vocal to "boost" lines for impact. This technique goes back to the earliest days of recording and was used extensively by George Martin w/ Beatles tunes.

This piece, though, was modeled after a Prince song.

I didn't originally blend the additional vocals in, but I think it really does add quite a bit.

Prince? Which one?

I love the power pop vibe of this! Not hearing Prince, for me Beatles/Matthew Sweet perhaps with a little upbeat Wilco :>). A great combo imo. Great vocals! Love that snare sound as well , really pops!
Thanks bud! I think this may predate Wilco - but one of my favorites!

:D

It reminds me Beatles + country music. The chorus part is pretty good and I can't complain so much. Are drums real ones? It sounds a virtual instrument to my ears.

This is awesome!

This is very close to Beatles..Have you heard of Roy Wood from the band Wizard? Dude this sounds just like them.

Very well done. Tell me all your mixing secrets....pronto! How is it so loud?

Last edited:
This is awesome!

This is very close to Beatles..Have you heard of Roy Wood from the band Wizard? Dude this sounds just like them.

Very well done. Tell me all your mixing secrets....pronto! How is it so loud?
Drums are midi, so there's a bit of compression in the file to begin with. Then they're MODERATELY compressed on a sub-buss. Piano is lightly compressed. Vocals too. No compression on the gits.

The two bus has a mastering plug and a limiter applied

I mix w/ them in place.

Back