What's happening?

MichaelLester

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm from Portugal so excuse me if my english isn't the best but anyway...

So, I recently bought a
Fame Studio C05 condenser mic
Xenyx 802 mixer
Behringer U-control UCA 222

and also have a HP 655 laptop (it sucks I know)

and the problem is when I record any sound from the mic, the sound comes really clear but also really noisey and I don't know what's the problem. Is it the mic? Is it the laptop? I'm a newbie so I have no idea how to solve the problem. What should I do? How can get rid off this noise? Also, any bit of sound it's made, the mic records it and I already have a reflector. Pls help me

It could be equpiments own noise which may be caused by wrong gain stageing or just cheap gear. (however some guys say that the newer Behringer products are silent).
Or it could be the noise from the room and the microphone just picks it up. Turn off air conditioner, fridge... anything that makes noise and can hear it by ear. Computer fans also make noise, so try to get as far away from that laptop as possible.
Also make sure you are talking/singing to the correct side of the mic.

Besides that noise may come from faulty gear. The best way is to post a clip for us and we can tell you what is actually causing the problem.

It could be equpiments own noise which may be caused by wrong gain stageing or just cheap gear. (however some guys say that the newer Behringer products are silent).
Or it could be the noise from the room and the microphone just picks it up. Turn off air conditioner, fridge... anything that makes noise and can hear it by ear. Computer fans also make noise, so try to get as far away from that laptop as possible.
Also make sure you are talking/singing to the correct side of the mic.

Besides that noise may come from faulty gear. The best way is to post a clip for us and we can tell you what is actually causing the problem.

I don't think it's the room. Everything is turned off. Is it possible that the problem is the soundcard? This is like my third mic and every one of them have the same noise problem, so I don't think the noise comes from faulty gear.

I'd investigate the term "gain staging" if it's not familiar to you. It'd be very easy to get noise out of that setup, but it should be possible to get clean enough recordings too.

Get the headphones on and listen to the noise. Now without moving the mic, put your hand or drape a light cloth over the grill.
If the noise changes it's acoustic, Ie. real noise in the room.
If it doesn't it's most likely the way things are set up.

Back