what's happening on this vocal?

paresh

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but does anyone know how this vocal is treated?
I hear what seems to be some combination of a lovely verb, some leslie effect, pitched delay...Is it specific to some brand of fx? Thanks.

It can only be played on Youtube not embedded. Actually I rather like it. The BVs are treated similarly - I suspect it's a reverb program maybe from some of the VSTi synth/samplers. They often have this huge dark treated style of reverb. I have quite a few that have that granular feel and overtone type tails. I'd have to spend ages auditioning what I have. I cannot track it down to a certain one in my dropdowns - I'm sure there is a Spitfire audio reverb that sounds like this on a sample.

A lot of use of digital compresion and expansion and clever use of complex reverbs. Moving the expresion of the vocal into any position, where it sounds like the vocal is almost a foot away from you. This is only possible with modern technology, it still needs 2 audio sources to create the position of the vocal whatever the modern technology. But back in my day, stereo microphone technique was pioneered and used for vocal positioning in analogue recording.

๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

Miming. No way that sax is recordable that way, especially in the stabs where he clearly goes for it, and will be leaking into everything. AND that solo in the sax high register fights with the notion a mic pointing at the bell makes that sound. Lots of nice shadow makes details easy to fake. My vote? That was mimed to playback. Still a cracking recording, but not achievable with so many people playing at one time.

Miming. No way that sax is recordable that way, especially in the stabs where he clearly goes for it, and will be leaking into everything. AND that solo in the sax high register fights with the notion a mic pointing at the bell makes that sound. Lots of nice shadow makes details easy to fake. My vote? That was mimed to playback. Still a cracking recording, but not achievable with so many people playing at one time.
Of course you are right Rob. They recorded the track as seen situation but obviously step by step. Liam Gennoknie was in the drum room and the rest of the guys in the main studio area. I believe that the basic backing track was done fairly live with the drums in the booth but without sax and only a guide vocal where Gerry would hum along without words as he was always quite shy about his lyrics and singing voice. Raphael then added his beautiful alto lines later, double tracked by play not tech I believe. Then the guys would sod of to the pub and Gerry would spend many hours with the engineer layering his vocal tracks. No producer, Gerry produced his own records. Then the final mix with him and the engineer with Gerry in charge of every nuance.
If the record company wanted a video... Rafferty couldnt be arsed.. so just get the guys back in to the studio to mime to the recording.... there's your video, as you correctly point out Rob.
I don't think Gerry was trying to make any sort of standpoint against videos to market the music, I just think he couldnt be bothered, rightly so. ๐Ÿ˜…

Great guy.
Cheers mate๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

I know a member of a long standing UK popular boy/girl band. She was doing 88 shows for me. Lots of extra instruments on track to suppliment the 6 piece band. She was concerned she would get a coold and have trouble singing, so we got together with my sound guy and recorded her live vocal next show. Sure enough, a few shows later she was croaky - so we quietly switched to the track. Her miming was so good, even her throat wobbled at the right moments - something Gerry's doesn't do. She told me that although often in her band they all had headset mics, there were no packs, just the IEM pack for her ears. She has a lovely voice, but they couldn't sing and dance at the same time - far too much lack of puff and deep breathing. If you mime well, that's a great skill.

British rock band Status Quo came out with a really silly song, lost their bass player, got asked to play it on BBC Top of the Pops, which at that time required everyone to mime. The song was not remotely typical of them, so they did it and had a laugh. They borrowed a bass player from British band Slade, and at the end the rhythm guitarist knocks the drums and drummer over. The mics are Beyer 201 dynamics, with a bit of wire in the mic socket, pretending to be antennas! Rather than mime badly, they just deliberately messed up the entire thing that went out live!

Liam Gennoknie was in the drum room
Liam Genockey, believe it or not, is a drummer I will always have bags of time for. He played with this avant-garde band, Amalgam, in the 70s and Trevor Watts' Moire music in the 80s. They were wild yet so accessible. Their rhythmic intensity was pushed to the limits by his playing and the way he combined with others. I actually saw him live a couple of times back in 1984. In the first of those gigs, at the Bracknell jazz festival, in the blazing sun in an overly hot marquee, that band knocked out one of the top 5 gigs I ever saw. They played for an hour or so and it was after about forty minutes without a break that I realized that this was one continuous piece !
They were insane ! But they won me over. I didn't want them to stop ! And Genockey's playing on the 8-sided live album "Wipe Out" is a masterclass in "keeping it going" with ream after ream of invention and power.

Liam Genockey, believe it or not, is a drummer I will always have bags of time for. He played with this avant-garde band, Amalgam, in the 70s and Trevor Watts' Moire music in the 80s. They were wild yet so accessible. Their rhythmic intensity was pushed to the limits by his playing and the way he combined with others. I actually saw him live a couple of times back in 1984. In the first of those gigs, at the Bracknell jazz festival, in the blazing sun in an overly hot marquee, that band knocked out one of the top 5 gigs I ever saw. They played for an hour or so and it was after about forty minutes without a break that I realized that this was one continuous piece !
They were insane ! But they won me over. I didn't want them to stop ! And Genockey's playing on the 8-sided live album "Wipe Out" is a masterclass in "keeping it going" with ream after ream of invention and power.
Thats why Gerry chose him to work with ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰

They were insane ! But they won me over. I didn't want them to stop ! And Genockey's playing on the 8-sided live album "Wipe Out" is a masterclass in "keeping it going" with ream after ream of

I know a member of a long standing UK popular boy/girl band. She was doing 88 shows for me. Lots of extra instruments on track to suppliment the 6 piece band. She was concerned she would get a coold and have trouble singing, so we got together with my sound guy and recorded her live vocal next show. Sure enough, a few shows later she was croaky - so we quietly switched to the track. Her miming was so good, even her throat wobbled at the right moments - something Gerry's doesn't do. She told me that although often in her band they all had headset mics, there were no packs, just the IEM pack for her ears. She has a lovely voice, but they couldn't sing and dance at the same time - far too much lack of puff and deep breathing. If you mime well, that's a great skill.

British rock band Status Quo came out with a really silly song, lost their bass player, got asked to play it on BBC Top of the Pops, which at that time required everyone to mime. The song was not remotely typical of them, so they did it and had a laugh. They borrowed a bass player from British band Slade, and at the end the rhythm guitarist knocks the drums and drummer over. The mics are Beyer 201 dynamics, with a bit of wire in the mic socket, pretending to be antennas! Rather than mime badly, they just deliberately messed up the entire thing that went out live!

I used to try to put a band together and got frustrated nobody was on my wavelenghth or ambition. Now I can do it all on my own... sequence... compose and write the songs .. write and record.. drums, bass, guitars, keyboards...do all of the backing vocals....and a decent lead guide vocal.. all I need is to find a young raw talented singer and manage them and make them a superstar and make me rich.

Hoping to do a Guy Ritchie ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

There's a video of the Lovin Spoonful doing Do You Believe in Magic on the Ed Sullivan show. During the video the set changes back and forth. Then at the end, while Zal is doing his bit, he just screws around and it clearly doesn't fit. People point to that and say that they mimed to the record. I read that when they produced the bit, the band had to play the song multiple times, and then various sections were edited together to do the "magic". The band actually played the song live, which is the soundtrack that you hear, but had to "mime" to their recorded track multiple times.

There's a video of the Lovin Spoonful doing Do You Believe in Magic on the Ed Sullivan show. During the video the set changes back and forth. Then at the end, while Zal is doing his bit, he just screws around and it clearly doesn't fit. People point to that and say that they mimed to the record. I read that when they produced the bit, the band had to play the song multiple times, and then various sections were edited together to do the "magic". The band actually played the song live, which is the soundtrack that you hear, but had to "mime" to their recorded track multiple times.

Great post, I will add another soon mate, Beatles double track Paul

Back