What's a good mic for Voice Overs?

openminded

I've got a budget of $1000 and I'd like to get the best mic for the money.

I've been reading about the Neumann TLM 102 and AT4047 being quite good Are those the best I can get or is there even better?

Last edited:
Many in the Podcasting world are touting the Audio Technica ATR 2100 as good or better than $350 counterparts such as the Heil PR-40 for spoken word. I have one and love it! I cannot compare it to the more expensive microphones, because I cannot afford them, but it is XLR or USB, and has a headphone jack right on the mic itself. Here is a link to examine it, less than $40! Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone: Musical Instruments audio technica atr 2100 mic.jpg

Many in the Podcasting world are touting the Audio Technica ATR 2100 as good or better than $350 counterparts such as the Heil PR-40 for spoken word. I have one and love it! I cannot compare it to the more expensive microphones, because I cannot afford them, but it is XLR or USB, and has a headphone jack right on the mic itself. Here is a link to examine it, less than $40! Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone: Musical Instruments View attachment 83193

Are those open and airy? I'd like to get a mic that sounds somewhat bright for my voice.

Radio stations tend to still use Shure SM-7's and Electro Voice RE-20's. If you are looking for condensers specifically, the world is your oyster. Just pick one that sounds good on your voice, you have a decent budget. There is no such thing as a 'condenser good for voice over', there are only the condensers that work well with your voice.

The voice of god sound will also come from your voice and a good deal of compression.

Back