whats a good drum machine for abelton daw?

I want the volca beats because it is cheap. I am very unorganized and just want something simple to record into abelton with.
do I need a drum pad? will korg volca beats work with abelton? I have no idea what i'm doing but i'm deciding to pony up for the poly d synth and want some drums, just something I can mess around with while I return to community college to study programming.

If somone would just humor me for a bit. thanks, just need a push in the right direction.

I think neither the Poly or Volca actually have drum sounds (voices), so you would pick either one you feel comfortable with and use that to trigger drum sounds already included in your Ableton DAW.

You could actually do all of that with just Ableton's software, but you may prefer the hands-on physicality of knobs and keys to trigger Ableton's drum voices.

You'll need something like an Audio/Digital interface to get the Poly D connected with your DAW via MIDI IN/OUT and USB.

Last edited:
I think neither the Poly or Volca actually have drum sounds (voices), so you would pick either one you feel comfortable with and use that to trigger drum sounds already included in your Ableton DAW.

You could actually do all of that with just Ableton's software, but you may prefer the hands-on physicality of knobs and keys to trigger Ableton's drum voices.

You'll need something like an Audio/Digital interface to get the Poly D connected with your DAW via MIDI IN/OUT and USB.
ok, not sure how good I am at creating drum beats thats why the korg beats makes more sense. there was a cheap drum pad I was looking at, I am feeling insecure, have like 0 experience with drum pads.

I mistakenly said the Korg didn't have drum sounds, but I see it does. So you'd be all set with the Korg, except you'd still have to create your own loops or sequences - doesn't look like it has any built-in grooves or drum patterns to play with but creating your own on the fly is the whole idea there.

Just start it up and tap some pads and twist some knobs. No fear.

Now Ableton DAW's drum kit probably has lots of pre-programmed drum parts you could splice together for a tune. Those would be more old school drum sounds as opposed to beats.

Eventually, you might combine the Volca with Ableton. There's no end.

Do those sell? I like KORg and all. That is too tiny. Little buttons. Where are my reading glasses.. Kinda reminds me of an 808/909 without any of the analog greatness.

What sets samplers apart? Features? Aren't they all the same. Sample the sample.

The 16 membrane, pads type devices are very reactive. Like the MPD218 with software like Drum Forge, is what I prefer.

Last edited:
Yeah. It's tiny.. kinda cute. Not being a keyboard, that's about as big as it needs to be, though. I was also reminded of my old TR-707. My main CON with this one is no MIDI OUT, so you're kinda stuck with the onboard sounds.

there's so much crap you gotta buy, i'm on social security and i'm no spring chicken, so yeah I see your point about reading glasses. I am trying to lose weight and build more mucsle to increase my hormones for more energy, the antipsychotics messed up everything and my bad habits.

What drum sounds are you after? The metallic "beats" from the Volca.. or realistic drum sounds that you already have in Ableton?

:) They oughta change GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) to CAS (crap acquisition syndrome) :laughings:
well i'm kinda mental lol, the plan is i'm going back to community college and when if feel up and positive I make something fun. it's possible i'm not trying hard enough but i'm trying to cover all my bases, that is my flaw

well i'm kinda mental lol...
Not to worry. You're going to fit right in around here :p

Well then, the Volca Beats would probably work for you. Just get it going and start tapping keys and twisting knobs until you hear something you like. But you'll need some way of connecting that to your computer for Ableton recording. Most of us use an audio/digital interface - if you're only going to send the audio from one device (Volca) , here's an inexpensive example AUDIO INTERFACE

So.. the Volca Beats, interface and a cable to connect should run around $200 - give or take.

Do those sell? I like KORg and all. That is too tiny. Little buttons. Where are my reading glasses.. Kinda reminds me of an 808/909 without any of the analog greatness.

What sets samplers apart? Features? Aren't they all the same. Sample the sample.

The 16 membrane, pads type devices are very reactive. Like the MPD218 with software like Drum Forge, is what I prefer.

They do sell, actually. The Volca line has done really well, mainly because (I think) they're not samples - they're analog. The Volca Beats is an analog drum machine through and through, with the exception of a few sounds that are samples: clap, claves, agogo, crash. But the meat and potatoes - kick, snare, toms, hats - are analog.

Back