what's a decent RED colored pedal?

Yeah cool.

there were some terrible pedals by Ibanez, the Tone-Lok series. The poor quality of effect gives character to the user. Often retaining a mode never heard before.

Any red pedal that sounds good. I wanted an octave pedal, I trust TC electronics so I bought this for 89 from sweetwater on sale.
I wasn't disappointed. Page and Beck used octave pedals often, gets that bumblebee sound when using the lower octave. You can probably find
one that will do fifths, octaves etc. This one is simple and cheap and works quite well.

I've got a bunch of overdrive pedals - but my two favorites and the two that I use the most are the Barber Direct Drive and this very RED JHS AT+. It is an *excellent* overdrive.

(I forgot - I use the OCD a lot too!)

Suhr eclipse two channel overdrive/distortion. It also has bass, mid and treble controls on both channels along with a global treble boost cut. (Just in case the guitar you’re using is too bright or dark for your tastes)

Last edited:
Boss SP-1 is very useful for what it does, which is one thing, but it does it better than anything else.
YMMV

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 6
Any red pedal that sounds good. I wanted an octave pedal, I trust TC electronics so I bought this for 89 from sweetwater on sale.
I wasn't disappointed. Page and Beck used octave pedals often, gets that bumblebee sound when using the lower octave. You can probably find
one that will do fifths, octaves etc.
This octave looks nice and by T.C.Electronics . To me thats new. I need some 'new', to know.. Backed by the computer via usb.

MXR DynaComp. They sound different from your Boss CS. Or maybe a big ol' round Red Fuzz Face. (full size, not the little puny version)
The dynacomp unit was a basic recommendation by many . Very RED too. Never did it perform for me, unfortunately. I liked MXR's sound. MXR was a classic source, a staple, stable, resource of common FX pedals.

Last edited:
This octave looks nice and by T.C.Electronics . To me thats new. I need some 'new', to know.. Backed by the computer via usb.

The dynacomp unit was a basic recommendation by many . Very RED too. Never did it perform for me, unfortunately. I liked MXR's sound. MXR was a classic source, a staple, stable, resource of common FX pedals.
Many amps no longer come with tremolo so I bought thier Shape Shifter, that thing is great. I had a Nova Repeater. It has a kill button on it. I had just bought it and was playing that night. I hit the kill button and my whole rig went dead. Took about ten minutes to find the problem. My wife said glue a bottle cap over it. I called them and asked what their engineers where thinking. They told me I could glue a bottle cap over it, I swear. Even if you know it is there, on stage, in the dark, you're hitting all these pedals, don't hit that button. I sold it and replaced it with a Strymon Timeline. Way over kill for me. I am going to sell it and get something simpler.

Last edited:
MXR DynaComp. They sound different from your Boss CS.
close i went with a Maxon Cp-9pro+ .

Never liked the MXR dynacomp. It can be massaged to something Im sure.

with the coming holidays there has been a guitar purchase brewing for long time now. getting a NEW guitar and compression/distortion pedal marriage in order to blast into 'new sound' territory, Player..

a PRS goes well with what stomper out in front of the Amp? I use ADA and marshall power amps n' cabs.

Dynacom and bad monkey?
boss cs-3 and boss DS-1? is that PRS?
fender Bender with Ibanez Smash Box(distortion) tone-loc?
....a Marshall ED-1 Compressor and GUvNor 2 overdrive, thats going pretty deep

Last edited:
I like using a BOSS Loop Station in "FRONT" of my effects. That way, I can record a dry signal the entire length of a song, then hit playback and tweak my effects for hours without the guitar in my hands. With the USB, you can also sync up the stored file with your mix and loop both ;)

Back