What type of cable do I need?

7down

Hello guys, it's me again with another noobie question. i just got a brand new behringer headphone amp (the Behringer HA400), and I have a Tascam us1641 as my audio interface. i'm sorry for asking such a dumb question, but what type of cable do i need to run from the headphone jack on the tascam to the input jack on the behringer headphone amp? i just get so confused with these things.

speaker cable? trs? something else?? i've got no clue :(

the headphone out and the input for the behringer are both 1/4" jacks though...i know that much!!

thank you for your help :)

Check the manuals to be sure, but it looks like the Berry has a single, 1/4" TRS (in this case, "stereo") input. So, you're going to need a 1/4" insert cable -- That's going to have (2x) 1/4" TS (tip-sleeve) ends (one labeled "tip" and the other "ring") and one TRS (tip-ring-sleeve).

The "tip" TS goes to the left and the "ring" TS to the right output of whatever set of outputs you're using as your headphone buss (assuming that's going to be an aux buss of some sort, you're not going to be using your main monitoring outputs, etc.). The TRS end goes to the input of the headphone amp.

Since you say you want to run this OUT of the 1/4" stereo headphone output of the Tascam to the 1/4" stereo input of the Behr, you need a 1/4" stereo plug to 1/4" stereo plug cable like THIS ONE It's not a high-powered signal, so you don't need speaker cable.

Last edited:
ok thank you very much everyone!!

one more question just for my benefit--does "1/4 inch stereo cable" basically always refer to a TRS cable? cables boggle my mind.

Yep, 1 TRS to TRS cable from the Tascam to the direct in of the headphone amp is how I run mine.
Derrr... I never even thought of using the built-in headphone output. :drunk:

Assuming you can assign what you need to that output, then most certainly go with the basic TRS/TRS.

Well, on the better 'Behri' units, there are line level inputs that are best ran from the line outs of an interface. This particular unit is designed to run from the headphone output of 'whatever', exclusively. Probably not the best way ever, but the way it is meant to be ran.

Your advice was sound for best case headphone amps MM. :D

I think I'm always in the "how do I hook this up to anything camp on these things anyway...

So I suppose it depends on what he's using the thing for. If *he* wants his own mix and he wants to create a headphone mix using a stereo aux send for the talent, he's going to need to use the insert-cable method. If he's simply trying to assign the headphone output to multiple phones, the TRS/TRS thing would be the easiest choice.

Most interfaces I've used don't allow for a typical headphone mix anyway (through the headphone jack) so I never really use 'em.

i just want my friends to be able to hear what is going on when we are recording...sooooo yeah like massive said! just trying to assign the headphone output to multiple phones.

one more question....i have krk 5 monitors (gen 2). i never really noticed this before, buuuut evidently i have speaker cables goin from my tascam 1641 into the krk monitors. on the back of the krk monitors where the cables are plugged in, it says "balanced" and "trs". now, i'm guessing that i should ditch the speaker cables and get trs cables for those too??? have i screwed anything up/possibly damaged anything? how would using speaker cables instead of trs ones affect my gear and signal?

save me :(

No damage. The speaker cable is just not shielded. Speaker cable would only possibly allow noise to be introduced. Your speakers/interface are fine. :D

Last edited:
You haven't necessarily screwed anything up, but you most definitely want properly shielded, line-level cabling going to the amplifiers (in this case, the input on the active monitors).

Back