What to do about Jobs in the music production industry

mandy0501

Hey everyone, I’m currently in school for music production gaining my associates degree. One thing I often find myself thinking about is jobs after the fact. Does anyone have any tips on getting jobs in the industry when you’re new? Also any tips for school?

I'm not in the music industry, but having just finished a Master of Science in a totally unrelated field, my advice for approaching your degree is to treat it like a full time job. I didn't apply myself much during undergrad. Once I graduated I worked in a really busy restaurant for awhile. It was brutal work--long days, constantly understaffed, OSHA violations all over the place, classic food industry stuff.

But the upshot is that I went back to graduate school with a much more committed and organized approach than I used to take with my education. That made it much easier for me to really understand the course content, engage with my professors (I can't recommend this enough--email your profs about the stuff you're interested in!) and get what I wanted from my classes.

Good luck!

I taught music (and performing arts for a long time in college 16-20yr olds, and while studying music, some were also playing, producing and recording it - for themselves or for other people. They cleared off to university and carried on, and we had a degree level programme running in the end ourselves. I've kept in touch with loads of them, and some are pro musicians, a few are touring sound people, some touring worldwide, some just Europe and the UK. A few have recording studios, and record other people, but quite a few produce production tracks. If I have to generalise, there are a few important things. These are NOT the lazy kids, and they are not those who came to college to produce their own music and bugger everyone else - we always had students who would volunteer to play on anything, but also those that would only work on music they liked. Some were naturally talented, others had to work hard, but the ones currently working in the industry I could have guessed in the first 4 weeks of meeting them. So many were never going to make it. That's a bit sad, but I don't think unfair.

Jobs wise - those people were out there, playing and earning before they went to university. My question is a tough one. If you are going to make it in the industry, then you will already be doing things now. If you are not doing anything now, ask yourself why not? You might have reasons, but the likely one is you have not tried hard enough. School will give you a grounding but you need to really be doing it. Doesn't matter at what level. So those interesting in audio might be recording, or playing in bands, or maybe involved in amateur dance, performing or acting organisations. If your interested are in other allied areas, like lighting or video - they can always be wrapped around audio products. I guess you have a DAW and do some recording already? What kind of things do you record? What do you do with them?

Some people don't go to university with any pre-exisiting skills, and they have the hardest time, and frankly, they go off and do other things. How does this fit with you?

Hey everyone, I’m currently in school for music production gaining my associates degree. One thing I often find myself thinking about is jobs after the fact. Does anyone have any tips on getting jobs in the industry when you’re new? Also any tips for school?
I was in the music industry before I settle in the Post Production world here in Hollywood. I've been in Post Production for movies and television now for almost 24 years and have managed a really good career in doing so. If, however, it is specifically the music industry you're going for, the first and foremost qualification (particularly in Nashville, New York, and maybe to a lesser degree Los Angeles) is talent, followed by luck. It's just not an easily "learned" career path. I'd suggest getting into Post Production first, simply because there are a lot more available jobs. From there hone your mixing skills while simultaneously watching for opportunities in a more music-oriented situation. Of course, location is equally vital. New York and Los Angeles would be the best place to cultivate a dual career (post-production to audio). Nashville has become so very elite I'd guess it'd be possible, but not very likely, to get an audio foothold in that environment, at least without firmly establishing yourself elsewhere.

I owned recording studios for about 20 years and watched budgets plummet for music that isn't pop or legacy acts. It became really hard to make a living working with smaller acts and independent labels. I went back to live sound for a while and then settled into corporate AV.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Don't get hung up on music, there are tons of related jobs that need doing. As was said before, lighting and video both use some of the same concepts and skills. In Corporate AV, there are tons of sound guys (went to school hoping to work in a studio) and almost as many lighting guys (went to school for theater/concert lighting), but there are relatively few video guys. That might be something to look into if you struggle to find audio work.

In any sort of creative endeavor, much of your work will come from relationships. You need to be part of the scene and be someone that people would like to work with. Make yourself useful and be helpful (while not allowing yourself to be taken advantage of).

Unfortunately, staff positions in big studios are scarce. Sending out resume's isn't going to get you anywhere. You will need to create relationships.

I'm seeing lots of jobs advertised in the sound design and game audio fields as well as film sound. This is in the UK and mostly in London or west of London.

U Mass Lowell has a recording arts program with a 4 year degree. Even at in state tuition, the cost is pretty steep. I equate this as getting a degree in art history, thinking there are tons of those kinds of jobs out there. Worse, I find it unconscionable the way these kind of program are marketed for an industry that just doesn't have that kind of demand.

Give me any and every argument you've got but here is some reality.

I worked for a large national commercial AV integration company and now run my own small company. We have hired a number of graduates from this program over the years, either directly out of school or later after the graduate has been in the job market for a number of years. One we hired worked for a large game design studio and has major sound design credits to his name. His response to why he would leave? "I'd like to be able to afford to eat."

The number of positions and the economic outlook in this field isn't what I'd call great. I was very lucky to land a job in a well funded corporate studio as the operations engineer. That was years ago. Todays prospects are dim. Ask about actual studio placements rates and not just employment statistics along with salaries for any of these programs. You'll likely get some BS or blank stares.

Don't forget that the degree says very little about your usefulness in the industry. I took on a recent graduate in Sound Design, who seemed a bit miffed he had to hump and bump a show in so I left him the PA to cable, and the trunk with the power and audio cables in. The pile of speakers grew quickly, but no noise? The amps are faulty, was his comment. Speakon connectors go in, and twist! How did he not know that? One gig and he blew it.

That's awesome that you're pursuing a music production degree! 🎵 As for landing jobs in the industry, networking is key. Attend local events, collaborate with fellow students, and build a killer portfolio. Also, don't underestimate the power of internships. They're great for gaining real-world experience.

When it comes to school, stay curious and open-minded. Don't be afraid to ask questions or seek help when needed. It's a learning journey, after all! And remember, technology plays a huge role in music production. You might even find some cool apps that can help you along the way. I recently stumbled upon the best app to win money, which has been a fun little side gig for me. It's a great way to keep those creative juices flowing while earning a little extra cash.

Last edited:
Hmmm... that sounds like a nice AI bot answer.... or a politician. With stock answers like that, it's really hard to tell the difference.

Probably a part of her course, get real world advice. What I do know in the U.K. is that sound people are VERY difficult to find. I want an experienced A2 for ten weeks on a show, 80 odd performances, all in one place. Duties mainly radio mics on stage, and cast fittings and fixes, usual theatre stuff. The ONLY candidate is totally inexperienced, and not typical, background wise, fresh from uni. Nobody else in the frame. Nobody wants to do it. Sound folk are at a premium in theatre, in Covid they wen5 and did other things like film and TV and never came back.

We used to get a bunch of folks who would sign up as part of LA Recording School or LA Film School, and many would never come back after a post or 2. I've asked a few what things they were learning, but never got any responses.

Of course, getting a degree in a subject doesn't mean you will get a job. I was lucky to have a job in a lab once I got a chemistry degree, but that was almost 50 yrs ago. A buddy of mine that got his biology degree at the same time ended up working for the IRS. My son got a degree in sports administration, and 10 yrs later he's a financial advisor. He never got a job in the sports field after doing some minor work for Nike. He's done a LOT better in the financial world than he would have done in the sports world as an administrator.

I used to laugh when people complained that college athletes would leave early without a degree. One time I told a lady that if Eli Lilly or Dow Chemical had offered me a $5 million contract my sophomore year, I would have left before the end of class! So what if I only lasted 3 or 4 years. With that money in the bank, I could pay for any college I wanted to attend.

One of my nephews got a degree in Archeology, but now works in Sports Management.

Steve Hillage famously dropped out of my university, but he seems to have done alright.
Yeah, Brian May got his PhD but it took some time because he got sidetracked with a side project. Woz didn't have a degree when he started that little fruity computer company with his buddy Steve. Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard to start some kind of Window company without a degree. He's done ok as well.

You don't have to get a degree, but intelligence and drive are pretty helpful to being successful.

Slightly OT but moot I think? "We" have been robbed. The promise of "automation" as it was called back in my day was that menial tasks would be done by machines, freeing up people to take up other interests e.g. The Arts. Thus we could have had a thriving artistic society supporting an arts based industry.

The reality is that while robots, computers and AI have transformed manufacturing beyond all expectations and trillions of dollars have been made, almost all of that money has just been salted away by a very tiny group of individuals and far from having the time and where with all to paint, learn an instrument or indeed work in the audio/music industry, vast numbers of people have to do two or three crap jobs just to exist day to day.

Dave.

I resonate with your approach of treating education like a full-time job. Sometimes, it takes experiencing the grind of a demanding job to truly appreciate the value of structured learning. Regarding about how to make money fast, I get it – we've all been there. One way that often works for me when I need a quick buck is tapping into my skills and hobbies. With your interest in music production, maybe you could offer your services on platforms like Fiverr or Upwork. There’s always someone out there looking for beats, mixes, or even tutorials. It's not only a way how to make money fast but also a chance to hone your craft and network with fellow music enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Back