What the hell happened to my kick drum?

NotThatBright

Has it ever happened to any of you that instead of getting a "click" from enhancing the high frequency and attack on the head, it sounded more like a very quick squeak on the recording? This is the first time I've ever heard it happen. This squeak isn't from the kick pedal. I guess you could say it's kind of a shrill, high-pitched beater attack that doesn't sound right. I tightened the kick head for the first time in a while before making the recording that has the squeaky attack... could this be a symptom of overtightening it? I had to leave the house and don't have time to experiment, so I'm wondering if someone else knows something about this.

What type of beater are you using? I guess it's possible that a hard beater that's not squarely hitting a too-tight head might cause it, but that's really reaching. I've never heard of this before.

Thanks for the reply, buddy. I got home and moved the mic slightly... and I mean freaking slightly... and it's back to normal now. Apparently the thing got nudged a couple millimeters and it caused this. After getting nudged it must have been pointing too close to the edge of the batter head, where it meets the shell of the drum.

Back