What gain should i use when recording my vocals?

Renflexx

Hi im not new here but i don't come here often, just from time to time.
And i got a question. So, lets say i create a song, with lots of midi tracks and audio tracks, all of them are in perfect harmony with each other and the Master meter is hitting 0 db's, meaning i got all the tracks compressed (talking about mainstream here).
So given this scenario, what should my levels be when im starting to record the voice on top of this?
My audio interface is currently Apollo Twin Duo by the way :)
Thanks in advance guys!!!! :D
:guitar:

the Master meter is hitting 0 db's, meaning i got all the tracks compressed (talking about mainstream here).
So given this scenario, what should my levels be when im starting to record the voice on top of this?

Since it's best to record vocals (and most things) with an average level of -18dBFS it helps to have your mix already averaging around that level. Peaks usually end up around -12dBFS, not 0. If your mix is already hitting 0dB it's going to be hard to get the vocal on top, or even in the mix.

No doubt -- If your 2-buss is even in the same ZIP code as -0.0dBFS, you're waaaaaaay too hot.

Headroom = Good room. At every conceivable stage.

"Mainstream" (assuming you're talking about "goofy commercially acceptable crest factors") is the absolute last possible stage of production (mastering, specifically) and just about anything you do beforehand will likely come nip you in the a$$ later.

Er, you don't normally work this way.

You want each individual track (MIDI and Audio) to average around -18dB on a DAW scale with peaks getting up to the -10 to -6ish range. Your voice would be recorded at the same sort of levels.

THEN, we you have everything recorded, you start to mix. As you will have noticed, each track you add raises the level proportionally so, if you start at 0dB then you have nowhere to go.

If you want to work to your premixed tracks, I suggest you normalise them down to a much lower level, record your vocal, then mix the two together, only sneaking up to the 0dB point at the end of the mix when you master your final result.

Back