rme audio multiface w/PCI card

n-track studio (24 bit)

sm57 - snare, guitar, vox
2 x oktava mk012 - accoustic guitar, overheads
audio technica atm25

stands/pop filters/shockmounts/ X-Y "t-mounts"/cables/etc

direct sound extreme isolation headphones x 2
yorkville ysm1p monitors

i realize theres plenty of other stuff i "need" - i'll be getting a vocal mic and a direct box for bass pretty soon, hopefully some tom mics, etc etc etc....but, what other basic "necessities" am i missing? i was thinking my next purchase would be an outboard limiter (aphex dominator perhaps?), to prevent clipping going into my DAW. would that be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere for now?

thanks,

-mike

Hey Mike,
You have a wonderful start. Better than most home recordists after several years. My only suggestion is that n-tracks may not have much plug ins bundled with it (reverb compressors etc. If there is a lack there you may consider some plugs. Also room treatments to help tame sound problems may be in order. You don't want to start off recording nasty sounding stuff because the room sucks.
My final observations are that you may want a headphone distribution amp so you can accommodate multiple players.(I lied one more thing). You may at some point benifit from a dedicated editing program like Sound Forge or Wave Lab for editing tracks and creating CDs. I don't believe n-track has much in the way ofwav editing does it?

Tom

you don't mention what instruments/amps you have: these are critical components.

also, you have several things that I am terribly envious about, but from what I can tell, N-track has limited bundled fx/prcoessors/soft synths and that is something I am very happy with Sonar 2.2XL for. I use Sonar in conjunction with Reason and Waves Gold plugins 3.5.

Plugins plugins plugins...taht is where I would go.

thanks for the help guys :]

with your advice, i started looking into plugins and for now i'm going with the generally well regarded free vst stuff like classic limiter & compressor, digitalfishphones, and SIR reverb. i think i may end up buying some others pretty soon too, like PSP vintage warmer and antares autotune.

as far as my instruments go, i'm planning on adding some more stuff here for some more versatility (ie a strat and/or tele), but not in the immediate future. heres what i've got so far:

gibson SG junior
dearmond jetstar
hamer special P-90
marshall JCM800 2204
rivera knucklehead K-100
voodoo amps witchdoctor combo
fender bassman (silverface, billy zoom modded)
ampeg 4x12 cab
framus cobra 4x12 cab w/vintage 30's
marshall 1960 4x12 cab w/G12T75's
groove percussions 5 piece kit (kinda crappy, but donated to me by my old drummer)

i'm pretty sure my rooms going to need lots of work. i think i'm going to start taking care of that soon. i also agree about the headphone amp, but i'm not really sure what to look for in one? and finally, i will look into the wav editing software...

so, for now it looks like the moneys going to go towards treating the room a headphone amp.

thanks again!

-mike

Back