What do I need (new mic,mixer/interface or sound card)?

Raph_LYC

Hey guys, i am currently using an at 2020 XLR mic and a scarlett 2i2 audio interface and i am not that impress with the quality i am getting, i want a recording set up that i can get that radio channel/ station podcast feel without messing with the post production, so when i do livestream and stuff the viewer can get the radio station feel, i dont know if i need a better mic or interface or what or sound card because i saw some of the interface uses 3.5mm audio instead of usb, and i am only using a on board soundcard from my asus z77 board, i have a budget around 400aud can go up higher if its needed this is the store that i know in australia store dj https://www.storedj.com.au/
thanks guys!!!

Hey guys, i am currently using an at 2020 XLR mic and a scarlett 2i2 audio interface and i am not that impress with the quality i am getting, i want a recording set up that i can get that radio channel/ station podcast feel without messing with the post production, so when i do livestream and stuff the viewer can get the radio station feel, i dont know if i need a better mic or interface or what or sound card because i saw some of the interface uses 3.5mm audio instead of usb, and i am only using a on board soundcard from my asus z77 board, i have a budget around 400aud can go up higher if its needed this is the store that i know in australia store dj https://www.storedj.com.au/
thanks guys!!!

Your audio interface is your soundcard. None of your audio passes through your asus sound card.

Your audio interface is your soundcard. None of your audio passes through your asus sound card.
I understand that, i mean if i need to get a new interface with a better pre-amp or what ever and if that interface doesn't have a usb out put do i need to get a better sound card ?

Yup. When you use the Focusrite the built in sound card is (or should be) completely bypassed and irrelevant to the problems you're having.

The AT2020 is far from a great mic but is capable of decent sound. The Focusrite Scarlett is an excellent interface and you'd have trouble improving on it without spending into the thousands...and even then the improvement would be subtle.

You don't say what you don't like about your sound but, since your gear is okay, I'd bet you a beer that the real problem is a combination of your room acoustics and your mic placement with the acoustics being the big issue.

For voice work, the most important thing is to simply have a very dead acoustic without room reflections. (For music the goal is to have some room tone but to make it sound good!). There are various ways you can improve your room, ranging from temporary frames with movers blankets, to things like the sE Reflexion filter to a full acoustic treatment--there's a specific forum on the HR board that discusses room acoustic treatments.

As for mic placement, for voice you want a pop screen and to be relatively close to the mic. you also want it aimed so (since the mic is a cardioid) the rear points to the least desirable sound source, whether that's a noisy computer or bad reflections from an adjacent wall.

Finally, just have a think about your gain staging so there aren't any big ups and downs and your levels hitting your DAW are in the right range.

I dont think my room is a problem because i watch this guy on youtube "let's Play" and they all do their voice in a big room and they got this really good studio/ radio station feel to it. thanks for answering my question!

I dont think my room is a problem because i watch this guy on youtube "let's Play" and they all do their voice in a big room and they got this really good studio/ radio station feel to it. thanks for answering my question!

'really good studio' sound huh? Sounds distorted and amateur to me...

You need to take a step back and realize you are on a forum that is meant for recording at home. You are looking to get quality recording on any particular site right? I would guess that you need much better gear and skill to get to the level that I heard to be not so good myself. Start by learning what it is you need (maybe an email to the 'Let's Play' guys themselves).

I am not trying to come across as condescending, but you are asking for something that your goal example does not even sound good to begin with. Not knowing where you are starting from makes it impossible to give an opinion. Post an example of your recording and maybe we can give some advice.

Indeed. Let's have a 30 second sample of your recording quality and a note as to what you dislike.

The mic and interface you have are capable of the "radio" sound you want so the source of the problem must be elsewhere.

i want a recording set up that i can get that radio channel/ station podcast feel without messing with the post production, so when i do livestream and stuff the viewer can get the radio station feel.

Hey,
I skimmed Bobbsy's post, but I'd say he's covered the important bits here. ;)
The trademark broadcast sound is usually down to the environment.

A guy on here recently built some small cheap acoustic panels and provided before and after mp3s + pics. The difference was incredible.
This was a small less-than-deal room and all he used was half a dozen foot sqaure panels, or something like that.

Anyway, with regard to the streaming thing.
Compression is probably a big part of the sound too and you can get that from hardware so there's no post processing, but I wouldn't bother.
Instead you could use virtual routing software to stream the audio from your DAW straight to your listening public. (google "soundflower")
That'll let you use whatever EQs and compressors you might want to use.
It'll also let you line up music on the fly and use sidechain compression which, in my opinion, is a simple but hugely effective thing to do if you want to sound like 'proper radio'.
So many streams just have a distorted voice competing with the music but this is not what they do on radio.

I think the only thing you need to spend money on is room treatment.
Have a google, have a read, and come back if you've any questions. :)

As mentioned, your onboard soundcard is, or should be, out of the loop.
The scarlett is decent and completely replaces built-in audio.
The mic choice does make a difference, but it'd be my lowest priority right now. If you treat the room and don't like the sound, trade it in for a 58. ;)

Hope that helps.

I went through your other posts. It really seems like you're trying to just
throw money at this problem. It seems like your problem may be technique. Maybe you aren't used to the sound of your voice? Perhaps the money would be better spent in lessons? Maybe working on annunciation. Acoustic treatment and a pop filter will help you get better quality but it seems to me you may just not be happy with the sound of your voice.

Back