WARNING for you OS tweakers!

StevenLindsey

If you are running Windows XP with an ATI graphics card ( I have the Radeon 9600 XT, unfortunately ) and you are considering trying the music optimization tweaks found on some of the sites recommended here and elsewhere:

AVOID this tweak unless you have a good backup of your drive:

Systems / Performance / Memory Useage set to SYSTEM CACHE instead of PROGRAMS. ( Or enabling Large System Cache in the Registry. )

There is apparently a bug in XP or in the drivers for the graphics card ( this may not be related just to ATI cards but this is a common denominator ) ....nobody really knows yet where it is or what the true fix is. The ATI people just say...."don't use the large system cache."

This tweak, evidently in many cases ( like mine), WILL CRASH YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM. After you reboot you may get a system error >> DELAYED WRITE ERROR. Could not save $Mft...blah, blah >> for a bunch of files...and you're dead in the water. I'm just now honing in on the problem after my 4th crash. Mine had run well for over a week since the last crash and then.. I tried the tweak once more just to see, since my FW1884/Sonar setup has been rather unstable. CRASH! This is apparently happening quite frequently out there and Microsoft has not addressed the problem yet. Beware!

Back