VTB1 vs. MPA Gold

mentalattica

Just a Home Recorder
I was wondering if there is anyone who has experience with both the VTB1 and the MPA Gold and if there's a more than subtle difference. I'm pretty much asking if you guys think it'll be an upgrade, side-grade, or downgrade.

I'm happy with the VTB1 but I'm starting to wonder if I'll be happier with the MPA Gold, but if it'll be a side or downgrade I won't bother trying to scrape up the extra cash. The reason I'm considering the MPA is because the ProVLA really impressed me and from what it looks like the ProChannel is the result of the ProVLA and MPA which are both praised online.

The rest of my chain is KSM27 or AT4040, Pro VLA and Delta 1010 if that makes any difference. Just hoping someone can chime in. Thanks.

Once I bought my MPA Gold, my search for a sweet pre was over. Pre amps are no longer a concern for me, thanks to the MPA Gold. I suggest renting one, if possible. Give it a try! :)

Golden said:
Once I bought my MPA Gold, my search for a sweet pre was over. Pre amps are no longer a concern for me, thanks to the MPA Gold. I suggest renting one, if possible. Give it a try! :)

Will they sound better than MOTU pre's?

I've got an MPA Gold. It's pretty nice but it's not my "go-to" mic pre. I actually like it more as a DI. The switchable plate voltage and the adjustable input impedance is nice for ribbons but it gets a little noise at the upper end of the gain. Over all, it's a nice budget mic pre + DI but I'd suggest you consider your specific application before you jump in and buy it. As someone else suggested, give it a test drive.

punkin said:
I've got an MPA Gold. It's pretty nice but it's not my "go-to" mic pre. I actually like it more as a DI. The switchable plate voltage and the adjustable input impedance is nice for ribbons but it gets a little noise at the upper end of the gain. Over all, it's a nice budget mic pre + DI but I'd suggest you consider your specific application before you jump in and buy it. As someone else suggested, give it a test drive.
well said orange veggie man!

studiomaster said:
Will they sound better than MOTU pre's?

Not too sure. Never heard of them. For me, the Gold gets the job done in a way that fits my taste. It's raw and clean to these ears. If the performace is where you want it, the Gold will get the job done nice. That's just my experience. Don't know any other way to put it.

Last edited:
hindustudiosgod said:
I'm a rich ass mother fucker. But you are not so get a cheap ass m-audio shit and stick it up your fucking ass faggot.

I have to agree with this statement. M-audio boxes that are stuffed up asses are known to sound as good as mic pres twice it's price. That approach is definitely something to consider. However, I still think you should try out the MPA Gold. It's really a clever little box. :)

mentalattica said:
^^^ Wow, did I miss something?

You certanly did... A user by the name of hindustudiosgod posted the comment I quoted and responded to. Honestly, it made me sick to my gut. I then went and read all of his posts which are simular in nature. Anyway, I responded to it with an attempt to bypass it and continue the thread. Anyway, I think someone deleted it. I can delete my response to it if you'd like? I really don't care for participating in such stupidness, however, it kind of disturbed me, so I took it upon myself to try and water it down.

Golden said:
You certanly did... A user by the name of hindustudiosgod posted the comment I quoted and responded to. Honestly, it made me sick to my gut. I then went and read all of his posts which are simular in nature. Anyway, I responded to it with an attempt to bypass it and continue the thread. Anyway, I think someone deleted it. I can delete my response to it if you'd like? I really don't care for participating in such stupidness, however, it kind of disturbed me, so I took it upon myself to try and water it down.

Dragon toasted him last night.
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=215865

I love my MPA gold as well as the PRO channel. Great bang for the buck.

Golden said:

Ahh, I was just wondering where that quote came from...lol But thanks for all of the responses.

I've got the Mpa Gold and Pro VLA. Switch out the tubes in both, big difference. Way cleaner through both. I was surprised at the improvement. I put JJ 12ax7's in the MPA and 12at7's in the VLA

Back