VS880: Compression an Issue?

sloom

Greetings,

A guitarist I'm starting a project with has brought his VS880 (V Expanded, CD-able, etc) over to me to learn how to use, as he doesn't want to get into a learning curve. I don't blame him, but I'm willing to do it if it'll serve... One thing that I'm interested in is the compression that is default in the recording of files. Apparently it's to conserve space/resources, et al in the machine, which is ok... but do any of you Roland users find this something you'd like to do without? Has it steered you away because you really do find that results are less than what you'd like at the end of a mix?

I'm also loooking at a Tascam 788 w/ burner (for $50), and I have a Peavey AMR 64/MCR 4 4-track cassette recording system landing here in a day. It's old, it's cassette, but it's tape- and I've had great results with even 4-track cassette, so I'm using it for tracking rhythm section.

Anyway, back to my topic... how much of a drag is this VS880 when you consider the compression thing? Should I not stress it?

Thanks for your time.

I had a VS880 for years. If I remember, they had 3 or 4 compression settings. V1, V2, live... or some such.

I typically used the first one (lowest compression) and it sounded very nice. I even used the "Live" setting a couple of times and it was ok for what I was doing as well.

I thought the 880 sounded cleaner than the VS1680 I owned later.

mm

Thanks for the word back Marshman. I'm looking for expedience here, but not at the cost of sound if I can help it, of course. Sounds like a pretty good answer- and frankly the playback on the thing sounds decent.

Cool, thanks, peace!

Back