vs-1680 and noise gates

discordJF

I currently own a roland vs-1680 without the expansion boards. I want to buy and outboard noise gate and possibly even a compressor/limiter. Are these ouboard pieces compatable with the 1680? If they are, please explain how I can hook them up to the 1680. If they're not, is it just more conveneint to buy the expansion boards?

You can hook up outboard equip. to the Vs-1680. I have wired in a compressor and reverb successfully. The manual does not make it easy though. Use the aux inputs through the master section of the mixer and read each line in the manual carefully!

You can hook up outboard equip. to the Vs-1680. I have wired in a compressor and reverb successfully. The manual does not make it easy though. Use the aux inputs through the master section of the mixer and read each line in the manual carefully!

I have the FX expansion modules in my 1680, which includes a noise gate. However, you can only use the effect by inserting it in the mic line that needs the gate. Unlike other effects such as delay or reverb where you can use the effect send/return bus.
This is fine except that you can only gate one microphone at a time. I found by given that the gate is a stereo effect, I can link 2 inputs with mics in them an create a stereo channel with 1/2 or 3/4 etc... I can then apply the nose gate to the stereo linked channel. So this enables to insert the gate into 2 mic lines. However, I have not found a way to do this for multiple inputs say for live recording of 4 mics.
Looks like I would need outside pre-amps for all the mic lines, then outside gates, then input into the 1680.
Is there a way to do 3 (or more) noise gates using the built-in effect of the 1680?

Philippe H.

Have a look at phrase split (added in v2.xxx). It can be after the fact to gate out signals below a threshold. Takes some experimenting, but I have used it when my external gates weren't set up right to save a track.

hey all,I have a 1680 w/efects bords.when you use any efects,as you bounce to tracks 10 to 16 (stereo tracks),you can free-up that efect to be used agian.

Back