Volume Dip Issue

Lauren33

Hi all,
I'm trying to render out a file from Reaper but have this weird issue which I can't resolve. When I play my audio back within Reaper, I don't hear any dips in volume but when I render out a WAV or MP3 which spans the entire duration of the song, there are these dips that occur at a couple of different places in the song. When I render out a much shorter section around the area where one of these dips occurs in the full length render, the volume dips aren't there... I've tried the following things:

Rendering out as MP3
Rendering using different resample modes
Rendering as in mono instead of stereo
Rendering to a different bit rate (16 bit instead of 24)

The dips are always there with a full length render with any of these settings listed above, but not within the shorter length renders. Also, the volume is dipping in both channels.

Any suggestions are welcome! This has really got me stumped!...

Thanks,
Lauren

Is it possible that you have some automations set? And they're being bypassed when you segment the song?

Is it possible that you have some automations set? And they're being bypassed when you segment the song?
Hey, thanks for your reply. It’s definitely possible, I do have quite a lot of automation envelopes in the project. How would I work out if that’s what’s happening though and how could I fix it? 🤔

when you just play it in the normal timeline, do these automation events work normally? Is it only when you render out. I don't know reaper - but in many DAWs - the automation and all sorts can be included or removed from the actual output. This does seem to be a good direction to look

Lol... I use Logic...
Just disable all automation and see if you get the same result. At least you'll narrow down/rule out the culprit.

Yeah, might get better help on a Reaper group...

Kind of grasping here, but in Logic (which I use), there's both a Stereo Out and a Master [bus], and you can have automation on either, but your interface output (that you're listening on) might only get routing from Stereo Out (e.g.), which is before the Master, which is what gets bounced, and so its automation won't be heard except on bounces. So, check your routing software that probably came with the interface, and see if you're actually listening to the very last thing the mix goes through when bounced/rendered.

Back