Vocals distorted

Fiberglasslvr

Hello Everyone ,
I’m new here so I hope I’m in the right place . Well here goes . I am having a situation with recording vocals. When I am trying to record vocals , the microphone sounds distorted. I have the mic running into the Preamp, out of the preamp into the compressor, out of the compressor into the Apollo . All connection from microphone to Apollo are XLR . But when I use the same setup through an SM57 no distortion . I have used the -10db pad , I also bypassed the preamp and compressor and went direct into the Apollo , still distorted . Microphone ( this is the 2nd one ) , cables , preamp and compressor are brand new . Here is my setup: MacBook Pro 2TB SSD , 64gb ram, running Logic Pro X , UAD Apollo Solo , Behringer MIC2200 V2 2ch tube preamp , Behringer composer pro-XL 2ch compressor , Audio Technica AT4040. I’d love some advice on what is going on or what I’m doing wrong . Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

0 posts • Page 1 of 1

You've eliminated most of the obvious culprits (when you say second mic, is it a 2nd AT4040?). If the SM57 doesn't distort and the AT does, then it points to excessive gain going into the Apollo, especially since you're already removed the preamp and compressor from the path. It's unlikely that there is any issue with the cable if the SM works ok.

An SM57 is a low output microphone compared to the AT. (-54dBV vs -32dBV). It's also unlikely you are overloading the AT, as it is supposed to stand up to 145dB without the pad. Have you completely lowered the input gain on the Apollo to it's lowest level as well as using the -10dB pad? There's no reason that a basic condenser mic should be overloading the input unless the Apollo is defective.

When you are recording vocals, how far are you from the mic? With an SM57, it's not unusual for vocalists to literally "eat the mic", but that's bad practice with a LDC. You should be at least 4-6 inches back.

BTW, you are engaging the 48V phantom power for the AT, aren't you? You won't get any real signal if you don't, as the voltage is needed to polarize the capsule.

That's all I can think of at this point. Any other insights you can provide on what you are doing, or maybe a clip using both the SM57 and the AT4040 might be helpful.

Are you sure you’ve got the gain staging right? You have two devices designed to get mic level up to line level chained with a compressor. For the compressor to work properly you must get the gain staging sorted. You are I assume going into the tube preamp to add that certain sparkle, then going to the compressor to remove it, then going at line level into the Apollo to get the audio into the system? That’s three separate gain controls that have to set correctly. Clearly one of the items in the chain is objecting. The solution would be to use the headphones output of the first preamp to see if it is that device that’s unhappy with the AT mic’s higher output and sort that. 10dB might simply not be enough. I’d also remove the compressor. Old technology never known for its noise free performance, and do the compression in Logic. I’d never want to go back to the old compressors I had. They were ok for live use, but you have better in the DAW. If you find the tube pre distortion free, then going to the Apollo also makes seeing if that is where the distortion is created. My guess is that removing the compressor removes one input/output mismatch and you might just be way over level on the first device which gets made worse by the second. I reckon Rich is on the money. You are too close to the mic. You’ve spent money on very small, subtle quality differences. The two preamps, rather than just one modest one. Small, tiny details. Then you picked a destructive compressor, designed very differently. They hiss. Always did. That will mask any of the potential subtle stuff. You can tweak in and out to minimise noise, but that usually makes the compression less effective. You’ve selected a very hot, bright mic as a choice, then a chain of kit that’s a bit unusual? I’m not surprised you’re finding it difficult to set it up.

what is the AT mic like direct to the Apollo? Does that also distort in the way you are singing into it?

The OP said he bypassed both the preamp and compressor and went direct into the Apollo, and still got the distortion. That pretty much leaves either mic, Apollo, or user error.

He was here yesterday, but didn't leave any comments, so either he's solved the problem, or is trying out some ideas. Hopefully he'll post his findings.

Hello Everyone ,
I’m new here so I hope I’m in the right place . Well here goes . I am having a situation with recording vocals. When I am trying to record vocals , the microphone sounds distorted. I have the mic running into the Preamp, out of the preamp into the compressor, out of the compressor into the Apollo . All connection from microphone to Apollo are XLR . But when I use the same setup through an SM57 no distortion . I have used the -10db pad , I also bypassed the preamp and compressor and went direct into the Apollo , still distorted . Microphone ( this is the 2nd one ) , cables , preamp and compressor are brand new . Here is my setup: MacBook Pro 2TB SSD , 64gb ram, running Logic Pro X , UAD Apollo Solo , Behringer MIC2200 V2 2ch tube preamp , Behringer composer pro-XL 2ch compressor , Audio Technica AT4040. I’d love some advice on what is going on or what I’m doing wrong . Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
You mic chain is distorting you have to track it down - my immediate guess is you channel is too high - but I can't tell becuase I can't hear it. BTW Why do you have a hardware Compressor when the Apollo has a great soft compressor?

I'm sure that the OP is using the external stuff because using external hardware is ALWAYS better than using software plugins. You can read about it everywhere on the internet, so it has to be true. Even if it's old and noisy, it's got all that "mojo", y'know? 😜

Hello Everyone ,
Thanks in advance

0 posts • Page 1 of 1
I noted a few things, tho, which is why I said it appears he has already looked at the most obvious issues (highlighted above). Knowing nothing about Logic, I can't comment about that, but recommend posting a clip. I would suspect that it's not a software issue since the SM57 seems to be working. The 48V requirement and higher output are really the only main differences between the two mics as far a hardware compatibility are concerned.

One other issue that MIGHT be worth looking at is that the mic cables are properly wired. I did have a cable that had gotten a wire crossed at the plug (lousy solder job), and that caused no end of problems. It could be messing up the 48V phantom power. This is easily checked with a simple VOM, checking to make sure that pin 1 doesn't connect to pin 2 or 3.

When you have a voice like mine, nothing will help. I know this is of no help but it may be comforting.

Back