Vocal Recording

gnelson1948

I am a live performer and also record my own material. When i record a live show my vocals are rich and have body to them. But when I record in a controlled environment the vocal reproduction never sounds as good as the live shows I do, they sound thin, weak, regardless of what effect I apply. Any suggestions?

How do you record the live show -= mics in the room or DI from the mixing board? How do you mix your 'studio' vocals - do you had reverb, compression, adjust EQ?

For the live shows it is open mics and also ive tried line out from the board direct into my recorder, with these my voice is always rich and thick.
In my studio i use an AKG top of the line mic, and Ive tried my Shure SM58, in all these situations the studio is weak and thin. I use Izotope mastering software, and have tried all the compressions, reverb, EQ's. I will say this what I am talking about is straight R&R songs, these vocals just are not the same as when I play live. But, when I record in the studio a slow soft song, my voice is thick, rich and sounds like me on stage.

For the live shows it is open mics and also ive tried line out from the board direct into my recorder, with these my voice is always rich and thick.
In my studio i use an AKG top of the line mic, and Ive tried my Shure SM58, in all these situations the studio is weak and thin. I use Izotope mastering software, and have tried all the compressions, reverb, EQ's. I will say this what I am talking about is straight R&R songs, these vocals just are not the same as when I play live. But, when I record in the studio a slow soft song, my voice is thick, rich and sounds like me on stage.

Forget Izotope.

What DAW are you using? What plug-ins are you using on your vocals? I listened to a bit of two of your songs on RN and the vocals sounded fine, maybe a bit bright.
If you can post (here) an example of the live sound you like and a studio track that you don't like, it would give us a better idea of what you want.

Forget Izotope.

What DAW are you using? What plug-ins are you using on your vocals? I listened to a bit of two of your songs on RN and the vocals sounded fine, maybe a bit bright.
If you can post (here) an example of the live sound you like and a studio track that you don't like, it would give us a better idea of what you want.
Yes this. More info!
What's odd right off is (typically..) it's way easier to have control, way more options etc, in studio' to get about anything you need.
Now my guess.. is you're getting a lot of in this case 'useful candy' in the way of bleed, ambiences etc live.

I use Reaper, i will have to get back with my connection device dont remember the name. I will check on that and respond back tomorrow.

Thanks to all

Gary

Hey Gary, nice to see you here! You might consider that when you sing live you're closer to the mic and are getting a proximity effect which enhances the capture of low frequencies. Try getting a bit closer to that AKG and see if that doesn't help some. Oh, and I believe your interface device is an entry level M-Audio box. Hope you're feeling better.

Your pal,
Kevin

Yes this. More info!
What's odd right off is (typically..) it's way easier to have control, way more options etc, in studio' to get about anything you need.
Now my guess.. is you're getting a lot of in this case 'useful candy' in the way of bleed, ambiences etc live.

^^^ This.....

and also don't forget the adrenaline and whole feeling of performing live to a crowd. It's a big difference from looking at a wall in front of a microphone.

Back