Violin sound.

rob aylestone

Nah, the prescription is right but they made the lenses to suit somebody else. They need to be fitted properly too, so if you ask them to make sure that a screen at this height and angle with your head placed here, is in focus, they can easily do it. I tried ordering a cut price spare pair from gogglesforu, and they were as you described. A proper optician will mark the dummy lens with marks showing the factory where the transition in prescription should happen. The ones I now have are exactly what I want. Laptop on lap, screens at two heights on desk. The only time it doesn’t work is when it’s night and light level is low. Your pupils iris open and depth of field reduces. Normal lighting give sufficient depth of field. As I’m sitting here, in bed, the pad is sharp, but so is the tv thats 3m away, the transition is in the gap between them at the comfy head angle.

Retired

Hi,

Thanks Raymond; I do need correct glasses for reading music scores; I have friends who also prefer Specsavers so I've been web searching for the easiest branch where I can park the car without ending up in prison; Huddersfield Town has a Specsavers but I couldn't be forced into Huddersfield at gunpoint; it's becoming cycle & bus only car drivers aren't made welcome; ideally I'd like a Specsavers in a retail park but I can dream on; I'll keep looking. Thanks also for your concern it's decent of you.

I dumped my bi-focals TalismanRich a few years ago changing to single lens normal glasses and a pair of reading glasses; I became fed up of swapping to reading glasses so use my standard glasses full time; like you I too was diagnosed with cataracts starting at Boots optician in Meadowhall the only difference is mine was diagnosed over ten years ago; the only thing I find difficult is night driving with halo's around headlights coming towards me; this isn't a major problem because the only night driving I do is local; I had my eyes tested over a year ago at a family owned company and never again; I thought I'll support someone local so booked the appointment; in the car park I headed to the ticket machine and was a bit baffled; it was one of the new car battery charging points. Entering the store I followed a lady into the small reception area; the lady approached the counter and the optician was speaking to her; as I entered the optician looked at me as if I was dirt not saying a word of greeting so I introduced myself and was curtly told to "Take a seat" he didn't inform me where to take the seat to so I sat.

The lady departed and I was in solitary confinement for ages whilst he played with his keyboard; during this time I presume it was his equally unpleasant wife who came in and looked straight through me as if I wasn't there; she departed and once again I sat in silence in solitary confinement; by now all I wanted was to get out of there and leave this miserable pair alone. Normally I'm very friendly and don't bite; I'm polite in the extreme but this pair rattled me; eventually he said "follow me" fed up of this unfriendliness I looked him straight in the face and told him I only wanted my eyes testing not wanting glasses so the mood remained the same but what I wasn't prepared for what followed; I was led down very steep very narrow steps into the dungeon; at the bottom of the steps he had to reach around a door to push away equipment before we could enter; I wondered about a fire escape.

He tested my eyes and when finished held onto the prescription so I asked him if I was going to get the prescription at this point he told me he was only responsible for what he'd already done and should I go online for cheap glasses he wasn't responsible. Me; cheap: I had over £400 cash on me plus a well loaded debit card; I was more than happy to see the back of him and his advertised "Friendly family business" I should hate to see him hostile? Back home I bought a pair of single lens glasses online costing £35 inc P&P. I didn't want to obtain glasses like this and possibly is the reason I think I can't quite fully read registration numbers on a vehicle hence my decision to have my eyes tested again. One thing I did ask him was about cataracts; his reply he couldn't say if I had or had not cataracts; so much for me wanting to support a local business. Using my old bi-focals it became much too painful viewing the computer monitor giving me terrific neck pain having to lift my head to peer though the bottom of the lens and also descending steps was strange as my vision changed.

Whilst at Boots optician years ago TalismanRich they did an excellent job with my reading glasses just as you described; distance and angle were taken into consideration but as I say I became fed up swapping glasses so resorted to using my normal glasses; months ago whilst in "Home Bargains" I bought a pair of magnifying glasses I think they are 3X; back home I tried using them but all I could see was a complete blur but my wife loves them. My wife had her eyes tested at Vision Express in Meadowhall years ago paying quite a bit of money; shortly after she picked the glasses up at home by one of the arms and they fell apart so another 50 mile round trip but now at the counter the young lady was unfriendly banging on about claiming benefits? We were treated like tramps wandering in from under a stone; service isn't what it used to be.

Thanks again everyone for your interesting replies. I've not played my violin for a couple of days in order to give my eyes a rest but until I buy new correct glasses I'll play my violin but not read from a music score.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:

Slouching Raymond

I have found Specsavers to be very professional. I don't always buy new glasses, but they still hand me the prescription, and keep the details on their computers.
They have a lot of customers going through every day, and are even open on sundays.

Retired

Hi,

Thanks for the information Raymond; I need to determine which Specsavers branch is best to visit regarding parking the car; I have a choice of locations but I do my best to avoid towns especially Huddersfield which I've no intention of visiting at all. I need to accept that I'm getting older after a blood pressure check at the surgery this morning; it's slightly high so I'm being fitted with a 24 hour monitor early next month; it's nothing to worry about because generally I'm in good health but I hoped to be over 80 before the creaks appeared. I'll update regarding Specsavers.

UPDATE;

Eye test booked for tomorrow morning at Specsavers in Batley; I've just measured from eyes to music score and also drop to center of score; I'm fed up of struggling time to sort this out.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:

Retired

Hi,

Eye test done; £397 for three pairs of glasses; one distance; one computer; one studio collect next Thursday so hopefully I'll be able to read violin music scores without making myself ill. Thanks once again Raymond; the two guys dealing with me in Specsavers were very friendly and professional making me welcome also the store was spotless with easy parking near by; Specsavers now have a new long term customer. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Retired

Hi,

At last I'm practicing more without too many interruptions; my new glasses mean I can read violin music scores without problem; heating in the studio is sorted out and one really big annoyance now dumped; I've been tormented for a long time by my D'Addario mini tuner switching itself off after a few minutes violin practice meaning having to keep stopping playing to switch it back on again; I'm trying to play not constantly looking at the tuner but when I do look I expect to see a reading.

This morning the new Snark SN-5GX tuner arrived and what a brilliant tuner this is; very easy to mount with large clear readout and it doesn't decide when it wants to play; I'm unsure if switch off timing can be changed on the D'Addario but now I'm happy to have the Snark; I'm also progressing which please me and looking forward to lots more practices. Amazing Grace is starting to sound better and I'm finding my way around the score which is both fun and interesting.

Kind regards, Colin.

rob aylestone

I'm not actually sure I have ever known anyone to use a tuner like this, Colin. Part of learning a string instrument is learning intonation by ears. String players have to be able to do this all the time - in fact, you often have to play slightly wrong, to sound right. You tune the open strings so they are dead right, then you pitch by ear to these. The usual thing is you actually put your finger down slightly wrong, and your ear shoves your finger up or down a bit. I'm not sure the tuner is the right way to learn - what happens when you don't have it, or the battery goes flat. You really need to train your ear the way people had to when tuners had not been invented. In fact, apart from the few folk who have perfect pitch, most people don't play in tune, they play with relative tuning, like guitar players do who tune by ear. You start with the E or whatever, and tune the A to it, then the D and so on. You strum a chord and then make little adjustments till it is right. The E could have been an F, or even half way between E or F - it doesn't really matter. You probably could use the tuner to get the bottom string accurate, then as the Perfect 5th above has a nice beat, you tune that, then move up a string.

I know you are inventing your own system Colin - but theres a chance that when you get quite good, it falls down because you left your ears behind. My double bass might be tuned to E, but probably isn't - because I don't have a tuner - I just play in tune because I can hear flat or sharp, and can correct very quickly. ANY fretless instrument needs the player to develop their ears at the same time as their fingers. It is probably the absolutely essential feature. I'm not saying they're bad, but they are meant for tuning the open strings - so before you start practice, and maybe during if the thing goes out of tune. Not for intonation. That's why the battery save feature never even gets a mention - nobody expects them to stay on?